Green Blog

Greta Thunberg graces the cover of Vogue Scandinavia, criticizes the fashion industry

Simon

greta_Vogue Scandinavia Cover.jpegFamous climate activist Greta Thunberg adorns the front cover of the first Vogue Scandinavia magazine. And the uses the interview opportunity to reach a new audience and to criticize the environmental pollution of the fashion industry.

In Vogue's interview, Thunberg said that that she hasn't bought any clothes in three years when she bought secondhand clothes. "I just borrow things from people I know," she explained.

Thunberg has shared the interview herself on Instagram where she writes that the fashion industry is a big emitter and that it is not possible to mass-consume fashion in a sustainable way as the world looks today.

"Many are making it look as if the fashion industry are starting to take responsibility, by spending fantasy amounts on campaigns where they portray themselves as ”sustainable”, ”ethical”, ”green”, ”climate neutral” and ”fair”. But let’s be clear: This is almost never anything but pure green washing," she writes. "You cannot mass produce fashion or consume ”sustainably” as the world is shaped today. That is one of the many reasons why we will need a system change."

What are your thoughts about the fashion industry? Is it mostly just greenwashing like Thunberg says, or is it possible to shop green and sustainable clothes? 

And have you also reduced your consumption of clothes and other fashion items? Are you shopping secondhand clothes? Let us know how you are making your wardrobe greener! 

• Simon changed the title to Greta Thunberg graces the cover of Vogue Scandinavia, criticizes the fashion industry
  • 1 year later...
On 8/9/2021 at 9:50 PM, Simon said:

is it possible to shop green and sustainable clothes? 

Yes it is! I even made a blog post about it here: 

Edited by Happy Jolene