Green Blog

Should I get a Mac?

Simon

Microsoft office is available for mac ;)

Indeed, but anybody considering switching from a PC to a Mac or from a Mac to a PC does need to think about their software investment. While some companies permit people to change their license when they change platform, others do not.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simon

• brettbh

• mountainhiker

• only_green_no_gray

Indeed, but anybody considering switching from a PC to a Mac or from a Mac to a PC does need to think about their software investment. While some companies permit people to change their license when they change platform, others do not.

"change their license" that is true but you may have to get a different version of the software which is why many do not allow you to change....

Open office is available for Windows, Mac, and most Nix

http://www.openoffice.org/

FOR FREE :rolleyes:

Does it work with word documents, can non open office users open my documents, etc these days? Otherwise it's still pointless. :thoughtful:

You can also get microsoft office for free:P

Hehe, yes. You just have to travel to the bay of pirates. ;)

Does it work with word documents, can non open office users open my documents, etc these days? Otherwise it's still pointless. :thoughtful:

I Open Office at home :D and have to Word at work :( . Never have a problem going between the two (including pics and charts) provided I remember to save as a .doc to e-mail documents to work. Word does not support .odt , but M/Soft promise to do so shortly, as a result of EU anti competition action.

I Open Office at home :D and have to Word at work :( . Never have a problem going between the two (including pics and charts) provided I remember to save as a .doc to e-mail documents to work. Word does not support .odt , but M/Soft promise to do so shortly, as a result of EU anti competition action.

Well that is good! :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Well... So I decided not to get a Mac. Instead I'be bought a copy of Windows Vista Home Premium, a new graphic card and some more RAM memory. :)

I think you'll hate vista after some days, just like happened to me...:(

I think you'll hate vista after some days, just like happened to me... :(

I hope that wont be the case! :cute: I haven't used Vista on my own computer but the experience I have with Vista so far on other computers has been a pleasure. And Windows 7 is soon here! ;)

I hope that wont be the case! :cute: I haven't used Vista on my own computer but the experience I have with Vista so far on other computers has been a pleasure. And Windows 7 is soon here! ;)

Yeah, maybe you should wait for windows 7

Yeah, maybe you should wait for windows 7

You will be able to upgrade to Windows 7 and Microsoft will most likely offer you a "deal" to do that since they want to shed themselves of supporting too many versions of the OS. When they do, go for it because all of the enhancements will be in Windows 7, Vista is dead.

You will be able to upgrade to Windows 7 and Microsoft will most likely offer you a "deal" to do that since they want to shed themselves of supporting too many versions of the OS. When they do, go for it because all of the enhancements will be in Windows 7, Vista is dead.

Hmmm. I'm not so sure. I like Vista, but it really wasn't much of an improvement on XP and 7 will not be much of an improvement on Vista. People should think carefully about whether an upgrade is really worthwhile.

Hmmm. I'm not so sure. I like Vista, but it really wasn't much of an improvement on XP and 7 will not be much of an improvement on Vista. People should think carefully about whether an upgrade is really worthwhile.

You are making the assumption that you will have a choice! Businesses refused to move from XP to Vista and Windows 7 is Microsofts answer. They cannot support 3 versions of the OS. If they win in getting business to move from XP to Windows 7 you will see support of Vista vanish in a year.

You are making the assumption that you will have a choice! Businesses refused to move from XP to Vista and Windows 7 is Microsofts answer. They cannot support 3 versions of the OS. If they win in getting business to move from XP to Windows 7 you will see support of Vista vanish in a year.

Vista will be supported until at least 2012.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=11734

Well, after I switched graphic card and upgrade my RAM memory my power supply failed on me. I have a ordered a new one but it seems unlikely I will get my computer up and running before the end of next week.

That also means I still have no Vista. Heck, I dont even have a working computer yet! :mellow:

How did you manage to post?

I posted that, and this, using my brothers computer. A new power supply should be here on Tuesday. So if everything goes as it should I might have my computer up and running again on Wednesday.

I have bought a new computer! It will probably arrive someday next week.

Here is it's specs (some is in Swedish, sry!):

Strömkabel PC m/jord 2m

Nero 8 OEM Vista kompatibel

CyberLink DVD Suite 6, 6Channel, OEM CD,

Stötsäker kartong

Qpad|UC, Small Komplett Black, 4mm,

NZXT HUSH,Silver Aluminum Front, 2X Blue

MSI P45 NEO-F, P45, Socket-775, DDR2,

Intel Coreâ„¢ 2 Quad Q9400 2,66GHz,

XFX GeForce 9800GT 650M 512MB PhysX CUDA

Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7200S,

USB2 multikortläsare 3.5" svart för

Corsair Powersupply 750W Black,ATX/EPS, <--- Not so good!

Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4DHX DDR2, 4096MB

Western Digital Caviar® GreenPower™ 1TB <--- Good!

Creative HEADSET HS-450 Svart Retail

MS ROYALTY Vista Home Premium

MS COA Label Windows

MS Win Vista Home Premium Svensk

I have bought a new computer! It will probably arrive someday next week.

Here is it's specs (some is in Swedish, sry!):

Strömkabel PC m/jord 2m

Nero 8 OEM Vista kompatibel

CyberLink DVD Suite 6, 6Channel, OEM CD,

Stötsäker kartong

Qpad|UC, Small Komplett Black, 4mm,

NZXT HUSH,Silver Aluminum Front, 2X Blue

MSI P45 NEO-F, P45, Socket-775, DDR2,

Intel Coreâ„¢ 2 Quad Q9400 2,66GHz,

XFX GeForce 9800GT 650M 512MB PhysX CUDA

Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7200S,

USB2 multikortläsare 3.5" svart för

Corsair Powersupply 750W Black,ATX/EPS, <--- Not so good!

Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4DHX DDR2, 4096MB

Western Digital Caviar® GreenPower™ 1TB <--- Good!

Creative HEADSET HS-450 Svart Retail

MS ROYALTY Vista Home Premium

MS COA Label Windows

MS Win Vista Home Premium Svensk

Seems cool, though i didn't understand some part :P

• 5 years later...

If you are going with the iOS systems than Mac is only option but Mac is not that bad good. If you going with the Windows than it more comfortable that's my personal point of view.

• 6 years later...

I got a refurbished MacBook Air a couple of weeks ago and I'm truly satisfied with it, as I would be with a brand new device, plus it's eco-friendly to buy used. 

On 11/19/2020 at 5:14 PM, JenniferHahnMasterson said:

it's eco-friendly to buy used

That's so true! 

I use a PC that I've built myself so that I can repair it and swap out parts when needed.