Green Blog

Top 100 Polluters list

NoNukes

Top 100 Polluters list for 2012: http://www.peri.umass.edu/toxicair2012/

This list is only for the USA and is only for air pollution. This list is highly weighted for the pollution's proximity to human populations, such as cities. So as long as you do your polluting away from big cities, you won't rank very high.

Bayer Group is number one, and most of their pollution comes from ONE factory.

Until consumers stop demanding the products these companies make it is unlikely we will see change. It is crazy to think that there are not greener, cleaner ways to go about our manufacturing.

Until consumers stop demanding the products these companies make it is unlikely we will see change. It is crazy to think that there are not greener, cleaner ways to go about our manufacturing.

The companies are not majorly concerned about the cost to the environment. If polluting the environment is profitable they will continue to do it. The profit motive is in direct conflict with living sustainably. Consumers do not have much choice, they buy what they can afford.

I really expected BP to be a lot higher up than that! Especially with all the oil spills.. This is a really interesting list and thank you for sharing it with us. So are these people also the mostly highly taxed? What is being done to help convert these polluters?

I thought BP would be higher than that too! The media makes them out to be really bad too, but why haven't I heard much noise on the others who rank higher on the list? It really makes me angry when you try to do little things on a day to day basis, but huge corps are destroying all of your efforts in one sweep.

Does anyone know what the "(EJ) Minority Share" in the report means?

I really expected BP to be a lot higher up than that! Especially with all the oil spills.. This is a really interesting list and thank you for sharing it with us. So are these people also the mostly highly taxed? What is being done to help convert these polluters?

They are not that far down the list! ;)

And this list is only about air pollution. So you cannot see the pollution from the BP/Deepwater oil well explosion in the Gulf of Mexico on this list.