Green Blog

Alternative Travel Project

Rupert

The Alternative Travel Project is about making small changes at home that ripple and affect changes around the world. The project, created by actors Stana Katic and Seamus Dever (from hit TV show Castle), promotes people to leave their car at home to help the environment. The Car Free March contest encouraged people to leave their car at home for 7 days throughout the month and to record the experience. We decided to take it a little bit further, and came up with an extra challenge of our own. Prove that no matter where you live, you can get to a place using any of the alternative transportation available. Our video was chosen as the winner! This was our experience, hope you like it :)

Anita Fuxman Bass, Bárbara Arakaki, Johanna Guerra.

For more information go here:

http://www.alternativetravelproject.com/

That's a great video. Good job!

Alternative transportation options are much healthier, less stressful, cheaper, and in most cases will take you much faster to your destination than a car would.

By the way, at around the 3:03 mark in the video I thought the girl on the bike would fall and hurt herself. But she managed that situation like a pro. ;)

That's a great video. Good job!

Alternative transportation options are much healthier, less stressful, cheaper, and in most cases will take you much faster to your destination than a car would.

By the way, at around the 3:03 mark in the video I thought the girl on the bike would fall and hurt herself. But she managed that situation like a pro. ;)

I don't know about it being less stressful, cheaper, or faster although it may be at least somewhat healthier. See most companies are cutting back on tolerance and so being late is an excellent way to get fired which in just job economy would be the worse thing possible. Now my job is in the industrial park which is about 25 miles from my house, and on the way I have to drop off my kid brother, my younger sister, and my niece at the daycare. I have to be at work by 9:00, have the first grader at school by 8:00, have the college kid at school by 8:45, and the baby gets let off by 7:45. That doesn't include chores and my mother has to be at work by 8:00, so it's on me. I'm not sure how I'd get this all done without a car. I do know that relying on public transportation wouldn't work because that is being cut back. I know that none of us have bicycles and I wouldn't trust a seven year old alone even so (there are a lot accidents involving bicycles and cars here). My sister's college is across the bridge and the public transit is totally different thanks to being run by two different states, and the baby is a baby. I really think that alot of things would have to change before people could just cut out cars and that not taking that into account is kind of irresponsible.

Have you guys heard about that town on the east coast that has no cars. Cars are not allowed in the town and they are parked on the outside if anyone who lives in town owns one. I want to say that it is located in one of the Carolinas. It looks green and brilliant and I want to live there myself.