Green Blog

'The Cove:' Japan Has a Dark Secret It Hopes the World Will Never See

Simon

Suspenseful and shocking film exposes the slaughter of tens of thousands of dolphins and the billion-dollar industry that profits from selling them.

AlterNet writes:

Ric O'Barry almost looks crazy. He is driving a car, with a mask over his mouth, crouching low in his seat, hoping not to be recognized. If the authorities catch him, there's no telling what will happen to him. He's cruising through the misty streets of Taiji, Japan, a small town with a really big secret, he says. And it's a secret that the town's fishermen want to hide from the rest of the world at all costs.

This is how the documentary, The Cove, opens. And it turns out O'Barry is not crazy, he's on a mission -- probably one of the most important in the history of conservation. And it's personal.

I hate seeing and hearing about poor animals slaughtered for whatever reason. I wish people would come to their senses when it comes to atrocities like this. So disturbing.

• 3 years later...

I watched The Cove last year, it was one of the best documentaries I've seen. I even had tears in my eyes at the end of the film, seeing the dolphins swimming combined with the soundtrack made me feel very sad. Has anything been done since the documentary? I doubt it, sadly.

This documentary is incredibly moving. Rick O'Barry is a man who helped create this entire industry but has since turned his back on the multi million dollar industry and instead is now trying to destroy it. The good news is that this movie really made a difference and opened a lot of people's eyes. The vast majority of Japanese people were unaware that any of this was actually happening in the first place. I think we should all commend the brave men who battled for months in order to bring us this documentary, no matter how heart breaking and difficult it may be for us to watch.