Green Blog

A 30 year side-by-side trial of organic vs conventional farming shows that organic is the better option

Simon

Organic farming has many positive effects, such as increased biodiversity. Studies in this area has shown that organic farming reduce yields by about 10%. Other studies claim that organic farming increases yields in regions with tropical climate. But in this study organic farming seems to have the advantage, in every category, over more traditional forms of agriculture. I haven't had time to take a closer look at the study yet so I am still a bit skeptical to the results. But it sure sounds promising.

Fast facts from the study:

• Organic yields match conventional yields.
  • Organic outperforms conventional in years of drought.
  • Organic farming systems build rather than deplete soil organic matter, making it a more sustainable system.
  • Organic farming uses 45% less energy and is more efficient.
  • Conventional systems produce 40% more greenhouse gases.
  • Organic farming systems are more profitable than conventional.

You can read the study here.

• 4 weeks later...

I also thinks that organic foods are healthier aside from being more earth friendly food sources. It is good to know that there are still part here that uses organic way of cultivating/planting crops/plants/foods although sometimes they seems expensive compared to conventional produced foods. Should be really more farmers would engage on organic farming because of all the benefits.

• 1 month later...

This is a great post, thank you. I have been following the the growth of organic farming for quite a while and I do believe that it is the superior form of farming. I also read that it provides jobs as it is more labor intensive. With the economic climate what it is - any industry that creates honest opportunities should be embraced, I feel.

Organic farming is kind - kinder on the environment and potentially on the future economy too.

Organic keeps it simple.

• 5 months later...

I seen this same study and found the information as very interesting! Not only that the dirt is not as destroyed by the tractors as well. I know a local farmer I buy from switched to Organic 24 years ago and he makes more today selling at markets and organically growing then he did doing the normal method of farming.

• 2 months later...

It is sad that the orice of organics are so high. Its not that the desire is lacking for such products its the ability to afford them for many people.

Where I live the price differences aren't that big for most products. But sure, when I can get 2 kg of rice for the same price as 1kg (or even less) rice I tend to go with the cheaper option.

The more people who buy organics the cheaper it'll get!