Green Blog

Is the Press Misreporting the Environment Story?

Simon

Bryan Walsh over at Time.com asks if the press is "misreporting" on environmental and climate issues.

[...]Now the big questions facing environmental reporters are not so much scientific as economic, as the country comes to grip with the true cost of fighting climate change. And national politics enter the equation as well — the difference between what science demands and what electoral politics might allow can be vast. It's not an easy beat to cover by any means, and the media may be falling down on the job. "This is the great political test, and the great story, of our time," writes Pooley. "But news organizations have not been treating it that way."

Read the whole article here: Is the Press Misreporting the Environment Story?

What do you think? Is the press doing a good job on reporting environmental and climate issues?

They are totally greenwashing the incinerators and the nuclear industry in my country. This really sucks. There are articles which are maybe 50% or 100% not true, or lack VERY important facts, but they get published because - uhm, probably because somebody is paying for it?

And/OR, the newspaper reporters just copy press releases and don't bother really RESEARCHING?!!

• 3 weeks later...

And/OR, the newspaper reporters just copy press releases and don't bother really RESEARCHING?!!

I think this is the real problem. I've got friends in the media, and they all admit to often running with a story just because the release is well written and it saves them work. Not really ideal, is it?