Green Blog

Favorite animal

Crash-Cheetah

What is your favorite animal? I think everyone can tell what mine is. (A cheetah) I also love Lions and Tigers. Large cats basically. I would love to work with them because I love them so much. Would you work with your favorite animal if you could?

I do have two dogs and a cat and they are my most favorite animals. I grew up in a family with a pet dog always. We made them part of our family. I love dogs so much because they are loving, playful and loyal. They love being cared and loved too. It was fun having them in our daily lives.

When I was little I liked lions, dolphins and whales. Now I don't really have a favorite animal. I have a weakness for 'peaceful' animals like pandas and whales, but I pretty much like all animals. I am totally fascinated by insects. The only creatures I can't like are parasitic ones like mosquitos and leeches.

I hate mosquitoes. Leeches are commonly used in medical so I don't have anything against them. They are one of two living remedies approved by the FDA.

@Zararina - I grew up with dogs as well. The are one of the most loving animals there is.

Ah that's right, we have found a use for them. Not that I think animals should be useful to have a right to exist, but if it's a parasitic one it has to be useful for me personally to tolerate it.

I love both cats and dogs. Dogs are very loving, loyal, and funny. I have two dogs and one cat. I like rabbits too, but I don't know anything about them, I would love to have one and learn about it. I agree mosquitoes are about the most hated creatures. I can't stand them!

We need to get a petition going to making them have their own island where they can leave us all alone. Mosquitoes I truly believe that they have no purpose.

That's a good idea Cheetah. I don't like the idea of completely wiping out an entire life-form. Having them isolated somehow instead of killing them all off would be great. Who knows what the future might bring and how they might save the planet.

• 1 month later...

Love :wub: all life......... all animals play an important part in our ecosystem.

I'm not so sure about that. I think parasitic life forms leech on an ecosystem more than they're part of it. I really think that there are some life forms that do nothing but harm other life forms. However having said that I also think we should be extremely careful about trying to eradicate certain life forms that are - in our limited view - bad for the environment. Just look at what happened to China under Mao.

I'm down to wipe out mosquitoes and flies from the Earth lol..

My favorites animal would have to be a sea turtle :D

I think its thumbs up or is that down for eradicating mosquitoes

Love :wub: all life......... all animals play an important part in our ecosystem.

A while back ago, during some human ecology lecture, this professor told us about some area in the rain forest where they we're going to clear-cut everything and construct something. I don't really remember if it was houses or some kind of motorway. Either way, in this particular area biologists discovered a certain kind of fruit fly which they later found out could help create a medicine for some awful disease - be it cancer or something else. It was a few years ago now so I don't remember all the details of the story but I think you get my point. Even small and annoying flies could potentially carry some major positive medical or scientific breakthroughs for us humans. :P

I'm not so sure about that. I think parasitic life forms leech on an ecosystem more than they're part of it. I really think that there are some life forms that do nothing but harm other life forms. However having said that I also think we should be extremely careful about trying to eradicate certain life forms that are - in our limited view - bad for the environment. Just look at what happened to China under Mao.

Parasitic life forms you say? You mean like us humans? ;)

Joke aside, I do get your point. But if an ecosystem has been left intact from outside interference all the different animals and insects and what not would live in almost perfect harmony after thousands of years of evolution. On those places where we see one kind of animal that is a destructive force in the local nature its often because it has been brought to that area by us humans.

This may seem like a generic answer, but I can't help it. I am passionate about dogs. Dogs rule, as in the movie Cats and Dogs. LOL I think it has something to do with the fact that I grew up with having more dogs as pets than any other animals. They are friendly, cuddly, and cute.

• 1 month later...

That would be the giraffe, I love that long neck because it looks as if they are looking down on every other animal in the wild. I also love their pattern and do you know that it the one animal that walks with each left leg together and both right legs together. Other animals use one front leg and one hind leg together.

That would be the giraffe, I love that long neck because it looks as if they are looking down on every other animal in the wild. I also love their pattern and do you know that it the one animal that walks with each left leg together and both right legs together. Other animals use one front leg and one hind leg together.

Thank you for that information, you are so right. A few years back we went on a Wild-life Safari, and as fascinated as I was with all the animals...the giraffe was simply beautiful and so very peaceful. In fact, I would call the giraffe a very graceful being. Also, so smart...

On our safari trip, it was hard to see her babies as she hid them on top of a hill where they were camouflaged - and kept completely safe from the roaming predators like the wild cats. The game-ranger also told us that one kick from her would leave any other animal seriously hurt.

Giraffes rule!

But for this thread, in order not to be a copy-cat...I will choose the beautiful panda.

Ours is a household of rescues. Toby, our chocolate Labrador, is a Hurricane Katrina rescue. Jayde is a magnificent Blue and Gold macaw that we saved from a horrible situation that included abuse, neglect and starvation. I'll never purchase another pet as long as I live. There's a world of perfect pets out there being destroyed by the thousands daily, and I will always choose from them. Rescued Pets ROCK !!!

As far as wildlife, my favorites are any and all of the predators. Their purpose is to balance and manage our environment and the wild kingdom naturally, which they were doing quite nicely until "Guess Who" started poking their noses where they don't belong.

I avoid mosquitoes just like everyone else, but I can't malign any species because everything was put here for a reason -- whether we understand it or not. While I can't in all good conscience defend mosquitoes anymore than anyone else can, surely they serve a purpose deeper than we understand. I do know that they serve as the major food source for many species of bats as well as for lots of birds, so they do have that much going for them. OK, OK -- so maybe that's all they have to offer :P

I love Panda's and Polar Bears. :) Ops. I think both are species are endangered. :ph34r: Polar bears are going extinct because they're finding it hard to hunt for food plus the arctic ice or something is melting away. :( Heartbreaking. :(

• 5 months later...

Personally I think my favorite animal would have to be a dog. They make great pets and they're mans best friend. They are loyal and always by your side and cute! I love my dogs that I have.

I love big cats as well - cheetahs, leopards, tigers, lions - you name it. I absolutely adore the cubs, I think because they are the bigger version of kittens! As for mosquitoes, gee whizz, they are the most annoying insect ever lived! I hate it when they hover over me when I'm sleeping - that annoying sound they make, I can do without it when I'm sleeping!

• 2 years later...

I really like birds. I have had several and found that they have such unique personality. I grew up in the Kruger Park and was exposed to many wild animals and reptiles and I know they are great to look at , but extremely dangerous. I do like horses and cats and dogs.