Green Blog

The reputation system

Simon

As you might have noticed (or not!) this forum uses a reputation system. Under each post you can either upvote or downvote what the person is saying. And on each members profile page or on his "contact card" you can see his or hers overall reputation.

The question is we should keep this system? It has both ups and downs. It can be good to highlight bad posts that are either incorrect, inflammatory or spammy. But it can also discourage new members from posting as they are afraid to get a bad reputation.

What do you guys think?

• 1 month later...

I think we should keep it the way it is right now. It could be a useful tool once the forum grows bigger.

I agree to keep this reputation system. At least we know the negatives and the positives then use that for improvement later on.

I think it's a great idea. It'd let you know about the credibility of a certain member when they give you feed back on a thread. You'll whether or not they are a reliable source.

Having the reputation system enabled is a good idea, it seems now-a-days a lot folks like it and can learn about someone or something.

I think it should only give us the option to like the post and not dislike it; that might start up some misunderstandings. I mean, if you like a post the you click the button, and if you don't care for it, just leave it alone.

I think it should only give us the option to like the post and not dislike it; that might start up some misunderstandings. I mean, if you like a post the you click the button, and if you don't care for it, just leave it alone.

I kind of see your point. But consider this scenario:

A member on this forum keeps posting misinformation and lies about climate science - saying global warming is fake and so on. You know, a little annoying troll. It is now that the downvote button comes in handy. We just simply downvote all his misleading posts. This way people who are reading his post will see his low reputation and understand that what he is saying might not be correct.

And I believe there is a setting for us that if a user has 'x' amount of negative rep, you can choose not to see those posts/topics.. If the feature is still present.

And I believe there is a setting for us that if a user has 'x' amount of negative rep, you can choose not to see those posts/topics.. If the feature is still present.

Yes! That feature is still here. You can find it in the top right corner right under the Reply button.

• 2 months later...

I've changed the reputation system a little today. I've replaced the up and down arrows with a simple "Like" button. As a result you cannot downvote posts anymore. But I think this new system with only a Like button is friendlier and a bit more familiar for people so hopefully it will get more usage (or likes!).

• Like 2

I think it's alright. I personal get scared though, thinking it will be me that gets the thumbs down next time. I gotta really watch what I say. LOL I personally like a rating system based on one to five stars more than I like a thumbs up/down system. However, I can see the point that it is meant to flag inflammatory or spam posts. However, can't the spam posts be either deleted or blocked? I suppose that takes time too.

I've changed the reputation system a little today. I've replaced the up and down arrows with a simple "Like" button. As a result you cannot downvote posts anymore. But I think this new system with only a Like button is friendlier and a bit more familiar for people so hopefully it will get more usage (or likes!).

The new change is good. And I just liked your post! ;)

I hope I wont be missing the down vote button...

• 6 months later...

In my experience it all depends on the innate civility, or otherwise, of the people involved. I have seen gangs form on fora and unless you have been on the receiving end you probably wouldn't even notice it. Human nature is very cunning.

In other words the rep system is a blunt instrument and relieves the individual of the exercise of mental acuity necessary to develop free thinking. Free of the need to follow - any ideology or 'leader'.

I vote no. This 'Like' and 'Dislike' nonsense is to reduce your intelligence to a click.

EDIT : Fora need to be moderated and that is a personal matter. But for real D-Heads you could have a report feature that immediately takes the offending post offline, with justification by the reporter and last say to the mod.

In my experience it all depends on the innate civility, or otherwise, of the people involved. I have seen gangs form on fora and unless you have been on the receiving end you probably wouldn't even notice it. Human nature is very cunning.

Yes I agree with you on that. And that's one of the reasons why I am only allowing upvotes, or likes, at the moment. This community is still so new and small that we shouldn't make anyone leave because of some potential downvoting/bad reputation. Because of the small size the real troublemakers can be taken care of more swiftly and effectively by moderators.

EDIT : Fora need to be moderated and that is a personal matter. But for real D-Heads you could have a report feature that immediately takes the offending post offline, with justification by the reporter and last say to the mod.

It is already possible to report specific posts. It won't remove the post in question at once, but it will notify a moderator that will take action if the post is deemed to break any of the community rules.

The positive thing with a downvote button is that it could be used against potential climate change deniers that spread lies and misinformation on the forum. But at the moment I haven't seen anything like that around here.

And the Like-button can help stop unnecessary posts. If person A writes an interesting post that person B enjoys and agree with, it would be much better if person B just clicked the like-button instead of making a short "I agree!!!" post.

9 people have voted and it seems most people here want to be able to both upvote and downvote. Maybe its time to change?

Hmmm maybe. Let's give it a few more days to allow more people to vote and/or voice their opinion. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Alright people! You've made your choice. You can now upvote and downvote posts. Go crazy, but vote responsibly!

Edit: I have reverted back to the Like-button. :)

• 2 years later...

I think it is a good idea.  Being a new member, I am not worried about it too much.  It makes me think about my posts and makes sure my points of conversations are valid.  Plus, most forums have this system.  Like you said earlier, it keeps those (I believe you called them) trolls away.  I am here to learn, not cause issues.

I like the reputation system as it gives a person feedback on what they right.  I really like getting a "like" when I post something good, because the person had to physically show that they liked my work.  It is also good because there are some people who will post things and comments that are rude and obnoxious just to get a rise out of people, and I would like to be able to dislike a comment if I choose.

Those are good points and, in my humble opinion, sane reasoning. I might have to evaluate how the reputation system works once more.

I think it is a good idea.  Being a new member, I am not worried about it too much.  It makes me think about my posts and makes sure my points of conversations are valid.  Plus, most forums have this system.  Like you said earlier, it keeps those (I believe you called them) trolls away.  I am here to learn, not cause issues.

I like the reputation system as it gives a person feedback on what they right.  I really like getting a "like" when I post something good, because the person had to physically show that they liked my work.  It is also good because there are some people who will post things and comments that are rude and obnoxious just to get a rise out of people, and I would like to be able to dislike a comment if I choose.

• Simon locked this topic