Green Blog

Why We Live Like This

Green Blog

Somebody pointed out something that at first seemed very obvious to me today, and it’s something that most environmentalists miss — something very important to the whole “greenâ€Â movement.

She pointed out that people aren̢۪t going to change if they don̢۪t have good jobs, access to health care, and enough to eat.

But then I thought of all the wealthy people in the world who aren’t about to change either and her point — though a great one — started to lose its ability to hold water.

I wonder: what is the difference between people willing to sacrifice a little to do their part in terms of climate change and those who refuse to believe there is even a problem, much less one worth doing anything about?

That leads me to wonder about the people I know who claim to be environmentalists and still drive a car to work…two miles away…by themselves.

The disconnect is utterly breathtaking: where does it come from?

And then I end up right back where I always do:  people don’t care about the environment because they don’t care about themselves.

I know, it sounds all new-age therapy.

But the way we treat the people around us, the way we treat our homes, the way we treat our own bodies — for a long time now, it’s been a basic psychological truism that these things all reflect how we feel about ourselves.

So, now, we are just taking that idea one step further.  How we treat the planet, as individuals and as part of the larger group, is also a mirror for how we feel about ourselves.

For example, that environmentalist who drives his car two miles to work is headed to a job that deadens his spirit.  He hates his job.  He doesn’t want to go.  But he needs the money.  And he needs the money because he lives beyond his means because he is unhappy; he is living a lie; he is barely living at all.  All he really wants to do is live somewhere quiet and build things with his hands.

So he drives to work because he can barely get up in the morning much less get on a bike and power himself to his job.

The other environmentalist drives all over the county in pursuit of business opportunities.  His father has always taught him that he’s stupid and his main pursuit in life now is to prove otherwise.

He really just wants to sit and write.  But he can’t do that and make a lot of money.

Oh, the things we do for money, thinking it will make up for all we lack.

When if we would just face our dreams and move toward them, we would be free.

In so many ways.

The over-consumption would stop.  The anger would stop.  We could slow down and get rid of stuff and get rid of cars and walk places and know our neighborhoods and our unique geography and care for them because we know them.

Imagine, please, for a moment, imagine if everyone were living this kind of life.  It wouldn’t matter if we thought corporations were evil, because they would no longer have customers to buy their environmentally degrading crap.

We would be healthier mentally and physically.  We wouldn’t need the number of anti-depressants that we consume (which end up in our drinking water).  We wouldn’t need so much healthcare in general.

This is the stuff of a real revolution — as opposed to the fake kind that is all dramatic and makes its participants feel as if they are doing something when they are not.

Stop driving cars to hold placards and march and yell.  Go home and do what you love.

Stop flying to a conference halfway around the world to sit around and feel self-righteous with other people “in the know.â€ÂÂ  Go home and get to know your neighbor.

Stop working at jobs that contribute to the ill health of this planet and stop hiding behind the excuse of needing the health insurance.  Go home and take a long walk every day and see how you stop needing doctors.

Stop eating dirty food because it’s cheap.  Go home and plant a pack of seeds that cost a dollar.

Stop yelling and acting angry and start living the things that come out of your mouth.

Stop expecting other people to take care of it, to find a solution, to create a new and better “alternative,â€Â take responsibility for your own culpability and change yourself.

That̢۪s all you can do.

View the full article

Nope, its just a shallow minded new-age sound of a person in a drug induce stupor! :crazy:

Ohh you're so mean!

...stop hiding behind the excuse of needing the health insurance. Go home and take a long walk every day and see how you stop needing doctors.

Well, I do think the health insurance and doctors are very much needed..

But you know, I dont care about the health insurance either way... Cause my health care is FREE! :D

Well, I do think the health insurance and doctors are very much needed..

But you know, I don't care about the health insurance either way... Cause my health care is FREE! :D

Well, excellent point Simon, if Hillary were running for our pres, she would do the same to/for us. obama may do the same if he is elected.

The fact is he is running for pres in Germany has not gone over all that well though and last time I checked people in Germany cannot vote in US elections. :D

Well, excellent point Simon, if Hillary were running for our pres, she would do the same to/for us. obama may do the same if he is elected.

The fact is he is running for pres in Germany has not gone over all that well though and last time I checked people in Germany cannot vote in US elections. :D

Didn't McCain say Obama should go to Iraq?

He did. And visited some other places at the same time.

What is the bigg fuss about really?

Is it not a good idea that a presidential candidate from one of the worlds most powerful country meet with forces, politicians and leaders in other countries that in some way are involved in US politics?

And come on. It's just ONE week outside of the USA for crying out loud. You guys are making such a big thing out of this.

And, Europe has always been in favour of the Democrats. In Europe people see the Republicans for what they are, a far-right fascist party, that they want nothing to do with.

Also, did you notice how well Obama was treated in Germany, by both the political leaders AND the people, compared to Bush's last trip to Europe?

Didn't McCain say Obama should go to Iraq?

He did. And visited some other places at the same time.

What is the bigg fuss about really?

Is it not a good idea that a presidential candidate from one of the worlds most powerful country meet with forces, politicians and leaders in other countries that in some way are involved in US politics?

And come on. It's just ONE week outside of the USA for crying out loud. You guys are making such a big thing out of this.

And, Europe has always been in favour of the Democrats. In Europe people see the Republicans for what they are, a far-right fascist party, that they want nothing to do with.

Also, did you notice how well Obama was treated in Germany, by both the political leaders AND the people, compared to Bush's last trip to Europe?

And it this country the democrats are the far far left fascist party. what we need is someone closer to the middle. :thoughtful:

And it this country the democrats are the far far left fascist party. what we need is someone closer to the middle. :thoughtful:

No no no.. You need one party that is truly to the left. And one party that is truly to the green side.

No no no.. You need one party that is truly to the left. And one party that is truly to the green side.

"green" being a relative term as is"left" in this country. The democratic party in this country is suffering from the far left looking down on those who thought they were on the left but not in 100% agreement with the far left. Now you have to be a "true believer".

• 1 month later...

"green" being a relative term as is"left" in this country. The democratic party in this country is suffering from the far left looking down on those who thought they were on the left but not in 100% agreement with the far left. Now you have to be a "true believer".

:thoughtful:

come on guys, the GreenBlog Bot is partially right... many people who make excuses for not living greener are lazy, but mostly they're ignorant and misinformed. And they mimic what they see around them, even the excuses that they give come straight from other sources. Unfortunately those sources tend to be greedy self-serving politicians, sensationalist news media and sometimes just plain bigots. "They say a man in a crisis falls falls back on what he knows best..." (from some old Cowboy Junkies song, can't remember the title)

Think about it, most of us who are trying to make the effort and become eco friendly have learned it from people around us. The difference is those people were caring strangers, parents, educated teachers and good friends. So GreenBlog Bot, we really shouldn't just blame those lazy, ignorant and misinformed people:) we should help them become informed and wean them off their laziness.

You see, your commenter was also partially right - rich people are not immune. They get their crap from the same source poor people do so they're just as lazy and ignorant and misinformed as the rest of them. And as you pointed out, just because they have money doesn't mean they don't think they have crappy jobs, they may have health insurance but they ill-treat themselves so it really doesn't matter, and they can certainly afford enough to eat but the continue to eat crap... all because of their life experiences.

What we need to do is be more compassionate and help them out. It's amazing what they'll see when we open their eyes, but we can't get them to open their eyes by shouting and degrading them. Teach them how like in one of my earlier responses (nothing implied about you biker if you're reading this) so it becomes what they know best so that in this crisis it'll be what they fall back on. :thumbup:

This teaching also means electing the politicians that say the right green things too, even if we'll have to force them to do it later :whistle: .

• 3 weeks later...

Our nation as a whole are non-thinkers. They do what they are told (mainly by the media) how to act, how to think, how to eat, what is "good" etc.

We are also a me society. If Green is not going to personally make their lives easier or better why bother?

We are also a bunch of complainers. Ever stand about 10 feet away from a group of co-workers and listen to them talk? They are not talking about how great their lives are, they are talking about their problems.

That's on them, they will always stay right where they are. With a small awareness of what is really important.

I on the other hand I choose awareness, not only for the environment, but for myself.

I live by the words Ghandi said,"You must be the change you wish to see" It's so true. B)