Green Blog

Time for G8 again

Simon

It's that time of the year again. It's G8 time!

I think Temperature Gauge said it pretty well:

The G8 leaders have been hiding from the people they claim to represent in ever more remote places in recent years. But the summit here at Toyako, Hokkaido, takes the idea of "hiding far, far away" to perfection. Even the media centre is kilometres away from where Bush, Fukuda, Merkel and Co. are meeting. Toyako - and the area around it - is said to be beautiful. It is difficult to judge right now, I have to say, as it is raining cats and dogs. The mountains, said to be magical, are hardly even visible. The mist is not romantic, but really just low-lying rain clouds. As this is a ski area, that has received less and less snow fall in recent years, I guess the weather is fitting. This is what it will be like in Toyako - and other ski areas - even in winter. Unless our leaders act. Will they?

You can also sign an online petition demanding actions on climate change over at Avaaz: G8: TIME TO LEAD ON CLIMATE CHANGE

Our climate hangs in the balance at the 2008 G8 Summit. Rich countries need to commit now to mid-term targets to cut emissions. Scientists agree these targets are critical to avoid climate catastrophe. Everyone is looking to Summit chair Japan for bold leadership to ensure rich nations make progress.

Avaaz will attend the July 7th Summit to deliver a worldwide public outcry to G8 leaders for strong climate commitments. This is our chance to urge rich country leaders for bold action on climate change. We don’t have a moment to spare -- sign the petition now!

It's that time of the year again. It's G8 time!

I think Temperature Gauge said it pretty well:

You can also sign an online petition demanding actions on climate change over at Avaaz: G8: TIME TO LEAD ON CLIMATE CHANGE

And if you cannot get China and India to go along with it, it does not make any difference what the rich countries agree to.

And if you cannot get China and India to go along with it, it does not make any difference what the rich countries agree to.

Well, you know what I think about that.

More news from the G8:

If you look at the G8 agenda, most of it is about food. There is a working lunch, a working dinner, another working lunch. And then there is the photo call. And then - that's it. How appropriate then, that they have been talking about the global food crisis while munching away at their Japanese specialities. Source.

To add insult to injury, there is a lot of really overpackaged food all over the media centre. Another way to solve the food crisis? One overpackaged water melon piece at a time? Source.

Also: CHECK THE IMAGE. It's INSANE!

And finally about the G8 climate statement: if this is a step forward - we will never get there!

Well, you know what I think about that.

More news from the G8:

Also: CHECK THE IMAGE. It's INSANE!

And finally about the G8 climate statement: if this is a step forward - we will never get there!

As long as China has a major commitment to coal - G8 will never be against it. And I did notice the commit by someone who is dumb enough to think it is all Bush's fault. That is another reason that it got nowhere. As some point people are going to have to admit that this is not a simple problem and everything is not the fault of the US.