Green Blog

Where to find local composts?

Jennifer Kaplan

Does anyone know of a resource for locating local composts that are willing/big enough to take compostable cups? I recently worked with a school on transitioning from water bottles to coolers and compostable cups for their field day. They were ready to make the switch when the issue of how to compost the cups threw a stumbling block into the plans. The middle school has an onsite compost we discovered, but then also discovered it was far too small to handle 500 cups. We were at a loss for where to send our cups. It would be great to know of a resource for locating local composts for this kind of purpose. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Jennifer Kaplan

jennifer@greenhance.com

Does anyone know of a resource for locating local composts that are willing/big enough to take compostable cups? I recently worked with a school on transitioning from water bottles to coolers and compostable cups for their field day. They were ready to make the switch when the issue of how to compost the cups threw a stumbling block into the plans. The middle school has an onsite compost we discovered, but then also discovered it was far too small to handle 500 cups. We were at a loss for where to send our cups. It would be great to know of a resource for locating local composts for this kind of purpose. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Jennifer Kaplan

jennifer@greenhance.com

Not sure if you are still in Virginia, but check with the local county government. Henrico County does have some public dumps that you can use for I think $3.00.

Thanks Mountainhiker. I actually have clients all across the country and am hoping there is some clearinghouse or standard approach I can recommend to folks wanting to use compostable cups no matter where they may reside. Is it generally the county that keeps this information? Does anyone know if there are private composts? I'd love to find a resource that could be recommended to people all over the country. Thanks for info!

• 4 weeks later...