Green Blog

As a responsible citizen, what do you do to preserve the environment?

Cecille

I am not that active in caring for the environment nor did I join organizations for maintaining a green community. But I love to take care of it in my own little ways.

I do the following to help:

• Throws garbage at the garbage bin
  • Cleans all litters in the surroundings
  • Recycles all the reusable materials so that it won't just go to waste
  • Unplugs all unused appliances
  • Conserves water
  • Plants trees and other green plants
  • Walks as much as possible to help reduce air pollution
  • Uses reusable materials like cloth grocery bags and reduce the use of plastics

I hope everybody would be more aware that we have to do something for Mother Earth.

You, what do you do to help?

I may not be the most active when it comes to helping to preserve the environment, but when the opportunity comes, I always do my part.

When I see garbage on the ground, I always pick it up and throw it away.

I do my best to conserve water.

I ride my bike to places to reduce pollution.

It may not seem like much, but I'm trying to do more each day.

I think it's great that even though you're not on any organization you still take care of the environment on your own; i understand that people are sometimes too busy to keep up with groups and all these scheduled meetings. What I do to help the environment and my community are simple things such as volunteering at child/homeless centers and donating clothes and food to this centers as well.

I am doing almost all those things in your list aside from planting a tree. We do not have enough space here to plant tress and i am not actively joining a tree planting projects since it is usually done in the province/forest areas. We used to have trees before when i was young but it is now converted into a commercial area. Although we could still manage to plant some small plants around the house.

I as much as possible, conserve water, energy and recycle things. The most important thing for me is to teach my daughter how to value and not waste water, energy and resources. I just feel that the practice does not end with me and that I need to pass it on. I still hope that everyone in unity will help save Mother Earth.

As a family, we recycle and make sure that pop cans and such are all taken to the right places. We also make sure that we do not waste, we save and reuse as much as possible. All clothing items we donate when we can no longer use them. We do not allow trash and such to build up. We also walk whenever possible and we try to buy items that come in greener packages. We also make sure to teach the kids to conserve water when washing their hands, taking baths and brushing their teeth. I make sure to always talk to the kids about the environment and what it means to take care of the earth.

• 2 weeks later...

I do everything you mentioned on your list except for plant trees.Turning off the lights is an easy and simple thing to do and it really does help. It saves energy and money. We always recycle paper instead of throwing them in the garbage. Sometimes we buy recycle paper which also helps. We also unplug things like game systems, cell phone chargers, and radios when we are not using them.

When I'm in parks I'll pick up some litter here and there. I also throw out my trash in trash cans. In zoos I try to donate some money to help animals in zoos and in the wild. When at home I recycle and turn off electronics that I'm not using.

I wish I had the green thumb to plant trees!

But being a social media junkie, I found out about green companies who plant the trees for me in exchange for a blog article.

For example, Blog-A-Tree Campaign!

http://www.celsias.com/project/blog-a-tree-campaign/

This green hair care company just began distributing a shampoo that the bottle grows a tree!

I love new green technology and companies becoming more eco-friendly! If you don't have a green thumb or the time to plant trees (reducing carbon emissions, heating/cooling costs, making people happier with more O2 levels, etc) then you should think about joining this cause! One article can plant a tree and give you a chance to win your blog recognition in the New York Times.

Call me lazy, but I am just no good at planting anything let alone trees!

~Neebles B)

• 2 months later...

We run :wub: Ecolurve :wub: a online business so its continuous effort every day helping to preserve the environment helping families and villages in 3rd world countries is satisfying but sometimes a long hard struggle to convert over. <_<

But the rewards are great when you can help the local environment one of the most successful ways we have SUCCEEDED :P in is converting mothers to use cloth nappies instead of disposable, and not pollute OUR MOTHER EARTH. also we have been converting people here to Eco friendly washing using natural biodegradable soapnuts :)

I hope I didn't accidentally reply to this already. If so, oops. LOL Anyway, I like to recycle and I have in the past picked up litter when I saw it lying around. When I am walking a dog I would take bags with me to pick up the doo-doo with and then throw it in the nearest garbage can. I used to work for an environmental cause going door-to-door. It was for a job but at least it was nice to inform the public.

• 1 month later...

At home we try to segregate trash, bio-degradable and non-biodegradable waste.

I teach my nephews and niece to throw their garbage on proper trash cans and if there is no trash can's available keep them in their bags or pocket till they are able to dispose them properly.

I walk every morning and early evening from and to work everyday.

We don't have a space for a garden at the back of our home as we live in the City but I try as much as possible to plant flowers on earthen pots. :)

Recommend eco-friendly gadgets and products available in the market to friends and family.

• 2 years later...

We make it a point to recycle our printer cartridges at home. As a small business owner, we run through a LOT of toner cartridges in a month. Here in Australia, we usually drop them off at Planet Ark stations as we learned from our cartridge supplier that they do a fantastic job recycling used cartridges. 

• 3 months later...

There are so many ways we can contribute to save the environment, and it all depends on our thoughtfulness and creativity. The few things that I do is place all the garbage in garbage cans and also place the garbage that can be recycled in separate cans. I never forget to turn off the taps, when I am not using water.  Just a little effort to turn off taps can help to save gallons of water per day. I have planted many plants in my garden and in the indoors as well. I also switch off lights and fans whenever I am not using them. In this way I reduce my monthly consumption of electricity to a great extent. Although I cannot contribute in a big way to reduce global warming, I try my level best to be conscious of my surroundings and care for it. This is the best I can do to keep my surroundings clean and reduce the pollution to some extent.

I try to do my best as well even though I an not looking for an environmental award anytime soon. I recycle everything I possibly can...I have even started rinsing out the mayo jars as opposed to just tossing them out recently! I try to limit my driving as much as possible. I turn off lights when I am not using them, and try to repurpose materials.

See, I really think that if every person does all these "small" things every day, they will add up to fix or help the big picture.  I recycle.  I conserve energy.  I do not want to be involved with any organization because sometimes they push their agendas too strongly for me.  I know not everyone will agree with this opinion, but that is okay.  They aren't for me.

I do a couple of things:

• I recycle, of course. 
  • I don't drive a car. Instead I use public transportation, walk or use my bike.
  • Besides the occasional fish, I don't eat any meat.
  • I support and vote for politicians that push for green policies and action against climate change.

I would like to do more, but it's hard when you're on a budget and live in the city. Any ideas how I can improve and live an even more sustainable life? :)

I reuse everything I can. What I can't, I try to recycle.

I use reusable grocery bags where I can, and recycled paper where I can't. 

I'm trying to learn to garden. 

In my garden I also have native plants. 

I am pesticide- and herbicide-free.

I use beneficial insects as pest control.

I buy from neonic-free nurseries.

I recycle old clothes.

I buy from thrift stores when possible.

I am learning to compost.

I take public transit when I can.

• 2 years later...
On 8/20/2011 at 7:57 AM, tammy said:

I do everything you mentioned on your list except for plant trees.Turning off the lights is an easy and simple thing to do and it really does help. It saves energy and money. We always recycle paper instead of throwing them in the garbage. Sometimes we buy recycle paper which also helps. We also unplug things like game systems, cell phone chargers, and radios when we are not using them.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...