Green Blog

Amazing GREEN city

srr12

I visited the coolest GREEN city this last weekend, and I was wondering if anyone knew anymore about this cities history? The city is Idaho Falls ID. I was blown away at this cities efforts to be green, yet it is just a way of life for them their. If you asked any of the 50,000+ residence about their efforts to be green, they would be totally oblivious to it. This city generates all of its power from a hydroelectric damn, (which is also a very esthetic draw to down town), and wind turbines located on the cities outskirts. Also the cities power company has sponsored numerous rebate programs for CFL lightbulbs, and LED christmas lights. With all of this, the city has still been able to provide their citizen with some of the cheapest energy avalible. This city functions just like any other city, but with an almost nonexistent carbon footprint. Why haven’t we heard more about this place and its ability to function like this for several decades now?

Sounds like an interesting and fun visit. It's always nice to hear about different urban eco-areas. I like a mixture of both old and new, and it's always worthwhile hearing about it. I know a couple of towns/cities who produce energy through new forms of technology, and a couple are in South America. You see most of these cities/towns have always been self sufficient, and so they have gone back to their roots, and have contacted people who can produce something on a larger scale to help them, with their new towns/cities and live off their natural energy. All this, is not new. It is a natural way of life, and has been around forever, but it has just been pushed down the back of a sofa, as capitalism has got the better end of everyone, and cities have developed, and people have depended more on buildings and technology than their own natural resources, and have forgotten natures way.

If you asked any of the 50,000+ residence about their efforts to be green, they would be totally oblivious to it.

Also the cities power company has sponsored numerous rebate programs for CFL lightbulbs, and LED christmas lights. With all of this, the city has still been able to provide their citizen with some of the cheapest energy avalible.

This does not sound too green to me, if power is cheap (even tough it happens to be hydro/wind) then it will be taken for granted and used wastefully, + the money saved will likly be spent in non-green ways such as bigger cars than needed.

The following sums things up nicely:

"It doesn't necessarily help if I'm encouraged that the best thing to do is to keep my car until it eventually falls apart.

If I save money by repairing my old car rather than buying a new one, I could spend the savings on cheap flights abroad. The net environmental impact will probably be negative.

Even selling my vehicle and joining a car-share scheme may backfire in this way, unless I am careful about how I spend the money that I've saved."

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7359018.stm

Green Projects need public involvement.

This does not sound too green to me, if power is cheap (even tough it happens to be hydro/wind) then it will be taken for granted and used wastefully, + the money saved will likly be spent in non-green ways such as bigger cars than needed.

The following sums things up nicely:

"It doesn't necessarily help if I'm encouraged that the best thing to do is to keep my car until it eventually falls apart.

If I save money by repairing my old car rather than buying a new one, I could spend the savings on cheap flights abroad. The net environmental impact will probably be negative.

Even selling my vehicle and joining a car-share scheme may backfire in this way, unless I am careful about how I spend the money that I've saved."

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7359018.stm

Green Projects need public involvement.

Indeed. What are your thoughts about a rationing system for gasoline, energy etc?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been to Idaho Falls a few times and never realized it was green. Of course that was before I went green myself so I have to admit I was simply oblivious. The next time I visit I will definately have a different perspective and will spend some time talking to some of the residents about their city's green efforts. It is a beautiful city though, with the falls running through the middle of the downtown district....

I agree that more of our cities need to make a push to be energy efficient and to incorporate a green way of thinking in the daily lives of their residents. It seems that most of the decision-makers in these cities are either too pre-occupied with other issues, or they think that it would be too expensive to change to a completely different energy system, when in actuality it would save them more money in the long run.

www.OurGreenEarthProducts.com

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed. What are your thoughts about a rationing system for gasoline, energy etc?

Totally impractical. Can you imagine how complicated it would be to enforce such a scheme? Or the black market that it would create ("Pssst! Wanna buy my gas ration?"). Plus, any government which attempted to curtail vehicle use would be voted out of office faster than you can say, "Loony right-winger!" Take America, for example. The mere mention of depriving Americans of their right to pack around a Saturday night special is enough to drive them into rabid rage, so can you imagine how they'd react if their government attempted to stop them from driving their beloved gas-guzzling behemoths whenever and wherever they pleased? Oh my!

The only real way forward is for governments to make it easy and profitable for people to be environmentally responsible. Steps such as improving and subsidising public transportation and providing tax breaks for fuel-efficient vehicles are, realistically, the only way that the current situation can be improved.