Green Blog

Flight misery at T5

mountainhiker

How not to run an airport

Baggage problems are causing delays, cancellations and misery for a third day for British Airways passengers using Terminal 5 at Heathrow. This started out bad and has gone down hill ever since. Amazing that management has not been able to step in and arrive at a solution.

15,000+ bags stranded at Heathrow

At least 15,000 bags are stranded at Heathrow airport after a third day of cancellations at the new Terminal 5.

BA has confirmed an estimated 15,000 bags are stranded but one source has told the BBC that the number may be closer to 20,000.

How much extra fuel is going to be consumed shipping 20,000 bags to catch up with the owners?

A total of 208 flights in and out of the terminal were cancelled during the first three days.

Yeah. I know. :rolleyes:

I liked Greenpeace's demonstration: http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/climate/...mobbed-20080327

There have been not a single coverage about this in Sweden, I guess it's because the right-wing media doesn't want to stir up new debates about the right-wing politicians in Stockholm giving the go-ahead for Bromma airport for another 30 years. <_<

Yeah. I know. :rolleyes:

I liked Greenpeace's demonstration: http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/climate/...mobbed-20080327

There have been not a single coverage about this in Sweden, I guess it's because the right-wing media doesn't want to stir up new debates about the right-wing politicians in Stockholm giving the go-ahead for Bromma airport for another 30 years. <_<

I haven't heard about that in the news either :thoughtful:. Maybe that's because they were more interested in the possibility of Mourinho becoming the new coach of Inter de Milao :sceptical:

Once you see this pdf showing how the terminal was supposed to work, you will understand why it failed.

T5 the most complex baggage system in the world :whistle:

Wow, no wonder they are having problems with the baggage system. That system is a completely mess, it looks pretty on the paper but will never work right on reality

Wow, no wonder they are having problems with the baggage system. That system is a completely mess, it looks pretty on the paper but will never work right on reality

Yes, and given that the common complaint was lack of training :crazy: you really have to wonder at the management of this place. A system designed by a rocket scientist when what they really needed was a few good, well trained people, with trucks.

Modernisation, everyone is doing it nowadays. Technology is a big part of it, and sometimes things aren't done as appropriatetly as they would like to. And as mouintainhiker pointed out, it seems like they were too engrossed in theirs, to think about their own employees. Shows you, how much they care there.

Modernisation, everyone is doing it nowadays. Technology is a big part of it, and sometimes things aren't done as appropriatetly as they would like to. And as mouintainhiker pointed out, it seems like they were too engrossed in theirs, to think about their own employees. Shows you, how much they care there.

Now is its 6th day

British Airways Brings in FedEx to Help Reduce Luggage Backlog

Cancellations caused by the failure of the 4.3 billion- pound ($8.5 billion) terminal's computerized baggage system total more than 300 since it opened on March 27 - 20 years in the planning and building...Another 50 flights will be canceled tomorrow

Brining in FedEx say they have no clue as to how to get the bags to the people themselves - bad sign - and you have to wonder what they did for 20 years? :thoughtful:

And more flights scheduled to be canceled on the next day, says they have no idea how to stop the flow of blood! :sceptical:

Now is its 6th day

British Airways Brings in FedEx to Help Reduce Luggage Backlog

Brining in FedEx say they have no clue as to how to get the bags to the people themselves - bad sign - and you have to wonder what they did for 20 years? :thoughtful:

And more flights scheduled to be canceled on the next day, says they have no idea how to stop the flow of blood! :sceptical:

That's so funny. :whistle:

See. It would be a lot easier if you went by train instead ;)

Funny you should say that!

BA Terminal 5 bags sent to Milan for sorting

British Airways is sending thousands of suitcases by lorry to a warehouse in Milan because its staff at Heathrow are unable to cope with the backlog of at least 20,000 bags that missed flights from Terminal 5.

How much fuel is it going to take to get 20,000 plus bags to Milan and then what, send them back by lorry in some sorted order to be put on planes that may or may not leave? For sure figure 20,000 really hacked off people who have been missing bags for over a week. <_<

How much fuel is it going to take to get 20,000 plus bags to Milan and then what, send them back by lorry in some sorted order to be put on planes that may or may not leave? For sure figure 20,000 really hacked off people who have been missing bags for over a week. <_<

Well, now 28,000 bags are caught in this mess. Wonder how many lorries it will take to transport 28,000 bags to Milan.

Well, now 28,000 bags are caught in this mess. Wonder how many lorries it will take to transport 28,000 bags to Milan.

Just when you thought it could not get any worse, The T5 baggage system fails completely and now they are sorting bags by hand. Cost estimates so far are £16m and that is not counting all the wasted fuel moving bags around..... :thoughtful:

Just when you thought it could not get any worse, The T5 baggage system fails completely and now they are sorting bags by hand. Cost estimates so far are £16m and that is not counting all the wasted fuel moving bags around..... :thoughtful:

This is getting more and more ridiculous. I think the better options to solve this problem is to shutdown T5 till they fix the baggage system

This is getting more and more ridiculous. I think the better options to solve this problem is to shutdown T5 till they fix the baggage system

Or better: shut down the whole airport! :whistle:

Or better: shut down the whole airport! :whistle:

Or EVEN better, REPLACE the current Director, and get a NEW management team in. [Man this is my opportunity right here lol]

• 2 weeks later...

Our Lewis is of to China to work for a year. Shortly we will be going to Manchester airport, tonight he gets a flight from Manchester into terminal 5, and then one out to Hong Kong, before the local flight to Nanning.

Fingers are crossed.

Our Lewis is of to China to work for a year. Shortly we will be going to Manchester airport, tonight he gets a flight from Manchester into terminal 5, and then one out to Hong Kong, before the local flight to Nanning.

Fingers are crossed.

Good Luck! I guess you will need it.. :cute:

Good Luck! I guess you will need it.. :cute:

Cheers, dropped him of a few hours ago - just have to wait for an e-mail from Hong Kong tomorrow night - see if he has made it, with case, through Terminal 5 :thoughtful:

Cheers, dropped him of a few hours ago - just have to wait for an e-mail from Hong Kong tomorrow night - see if he has made it, with case, through Terminal 5 :thoughtful:

Nice, hoefully he'll make it without any delays or other problems.. :cute:

He's made it to Hong Kong - with his case :thumbup:

Haha, thats even better! ;)

He's made it to Hong Kong - with his case

:thumbup: Man, you have to be thankful for that. Sounds like they are getting a handle on the problems, wonder if they every got all the bags returned to the correct owners?