Green Blog

Earth Hour 2008

Green Blog

Turn off your lights for one hour at 8pm March 29 (that’s tomorrow) “to deliver a powerful message about the need for action on global warming.”

Households and businesses around the world are urged to turn off their lights and non-essential electrical appliances for one hour in an international event called Earth Hour 2008.

Earth Hour started out in Sydney, Australia between 7:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. on 31 March 2007. That year it was a local event in Australia, this year they are going bigger than ever. Over 11,900 businesses and over 200,000 individuals have signed up to take part in this event. Cities worldwide like Dubai (UAE), Bangkok (Thailand), Örebro (Sweden), San Francisco (USA), Toronto (Canada) and many others will also participate.

(more…)

View the full article

earth-hour-2008.jpg

Households and businesses around the world are urged to turn off their lights and non-essential electrical appliances for one hour in an international event called Earth Hour 2008.

Wonder if NASA will get some shots of this event?

The difference btw the before and the during is really big. I wonder how much tones of CO2 were saved that hour.

And the (silly) Swedish king's castle in Stockholm:

Lool

Why silly?

The difference btw the before and the during is really big. I wonder how much tones of CO2 were saved that hour.

Why silly?

I don't really know how much CO2 or energy was saved.. The power stations would have been running the same like always and most of them have probably been producing the same amount of energy even if the demand could have been temporary lowered.

The King is silly because he is a King. Why should we have a King who wastes all our money on his luxury cars and vacation trips with his family? A true democracy can't be based on the idea of monarchy..

I was wondering why my Google screen had gone black several times yesterday, as it was part of this trend. Seems like a project that raises a lot more money, than any actual savings. Especially on light anyway. If you think about it.

The King is silly because he is a King. Why should we have a King who wastes all our money on his luxury cars and vacation trips with his family? A true democracy can't be based on the idea of monarchy..

I don't know if a president would spend less money than a king. For example the Portuguese president spends more money than the king of Spain

I wonder how much tones of CO2 were saved that hour.

In Australia "the organisers of last night’s Earth Hour event say they believe the nation’s power use was reduced by at least five per cent when the lights were turned off for an hour".

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?Men...ContentID=65233

I was wondering why my Google screen had gone black several times yesterday, as it was part of this trend. Seems like a project that raises a lot more money, than any actual savings. Especially on light anyway. If you think about it.

Screenshot for you who missed it:

I don't know if a president would spend less money than a king. For example the Portuguese president spends more money than the king of Spain

I can't say anything about your situation and where the money goes. But I can say its a big difference between a democratically elected president and a king who haven't been elected by the people.