Green Blog

Hydrogen

adub1010

Well... I don't know really. :sceptical:

he's not exactly a mainstream scientist. He's into all sorts of fringe science like trying to demonstrate a basis for homeopathy and trying to reconcile religion with science. The homeopathy bent is where he comes up with the notion of "water science".

Breaking the bond between Hydrogen and Oxygen takes as much energy as is released. There is NO ENERGY gained in this process.

This is NOT a viable form of "clean energy."

This story has been making the rounds for the past few days, but I have yet to see a story (or blog entry!) which isn't wholeheartedly credulous towards this "discovery" as the new solution to the energy crisis, global warming, foreign oil, etc. I must say I'm not surprised, but it would be nice to see some fact checking done by someone who's at least taken high-school physics before this invention is promoted as the next best thing since sliced bread.

From what I can tell, this seems to be the basic premise of the device: Radio waves break the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen, which then bubble up and are burned. The heat released from the burning can then power something like a sterling engine, thus generating power.

But here's the intrinsic problem: Breaking the molecular bonds in a water molecule (H2O) to give hydrogen and oxygen takes exactly as much energy as you get out when you then burn that hydrogen and oxygen back into water. Exactly. No more, no less. No matter how you do it, through radio waves, electrolysis, super-heating, or by some other means, it will take the same amount of energy to split each molecule of water.

When you couple this with the fact that no real process is 100% efficient, along with the good old 2nd law of thermodynamics, you end up with a process which, in the most ideal world possible, can break even, and in the real world falls far short of even that. Therefore, the output energy from the burning saltwater can be no more, and is certainly less, than the energy input to the radio wave generator. One would do better to cut this device out of the equation altogether and just use the electricity that would otherwise be powering the radio wave generator!

What Kanzius really claims to have invented is a perpetual motion machine, and therefore, members of the scientific community have good reason to seriously doubt his claims of eventually being able to attain a net energy output.

To quote the old adage, "if something seems too good to be true, it probably is."

etc etc...

• 2 months later...

Well... I don't know really. :sceptical:

etc etc...

don't know what it takes to make hadrogen but i put in an hho sustem in my truck it went from 14 mpg to 24mpg so that is good for not working

• 1 month later...