Green Blog

Al Gore quote

Simon

Here is a quote from Al Gore:

"I can't understand why there aren't rings of young people blocking bulldozers and preventing them from constructing coal-fired power stations."

That quote has gotten me thinking about some things. At most seminars and such about climate change there is always someone, an older person, saying that he hopes the younger generation will come up with all the right ideas and initiative to save our planet from man made climate change. But why should he/we put our hopes to the younger generation to fix a problem that he and the older generation are most to be blamed for? Why should only young people protest against coal-fired power plants? And when was the last time Al Gore participated in a non-violence demonstration or blockade?

Al Gore, you mean the guy who gained 100 pounds sitting in front of his TV? I think he

found it was much less effort to try to get others to do work than to do it himself. Plus he realized that since

there was not an instant replacement for power plants clearly the solution was long term and he did not want to miss any sports on TV while standing in the rain waving a sign for the next two years. B)

I am not saying that Al Gore hasn't contributed anything meaningful to the climate crisis. Gore has done lot's of good things for the environmental cause and helped the climate issue to get in the prime spotlight. But I can't really figure out why he doesn't involve himself more in various direct actions.

• 1 month later...

I think the environmental movement as a whole should get as far away from Al Gore as possible. His numerous violations of environmental ideals and the errors in his movie/book have provided a lot of ammo for the denialist.

As I tell people in other forums, Al Gore didn't create environmentalism. He is a politician and I don't let him determine the realities of the situation. I don't look to any politician. I look to scientist.

It's not a matter of who did it and who should fix it. We need to all work as a team, new generations and older ones. Because this is affecting all of us and will continue to affect the younger generations if we don't do anything to help.

I think the environmental movement as a whole should get as far away from Al Gore as possible. His numerous violations of environmental ideals and the errors in his movie/book have provided a lot of ammo for the denialist.

As I tell people in other forums, Al Gore didn't create environmentalism. He is a politician and I don't let him determine the realities of the situation. I don't look to any politician. I look to scientist.

What kind of errors did he have in his film?

It's not a matter of who did it and who should fix it. We need to all work as a team, new generations and older ones. Because this is affecting all of us and will continue to affect the younger generations if we don't do anything to help.

True, we all need to work together. But that doesn't mean we can't put most of the blame on the older generation. They should really take the responsibility for the mess they have created for the younger and future generations. They have lived a good and rich life on the climate killing fossil fuels and now they just cant retire and rely on the younger generation to fix the problem.

If Al Gore is really serious about climate politics he should be more involved in various direct actions in the USA.