Green Blog

Use a laptop to save energy

Simon

Do you use a laptop or a desktop computer?  

1. 1.

• Laptop Computer
    • Desktop Computer
    • Something else... :shhh:

• 3 months later...

I use both, but mostly the lappy these days. When I am doing any development work I use the desktop since as it has a larger monitor.

The small screen on my portable laptop is not so great for this.

Strictly speaking could tick all three whistle.gif 8 or 9 desktops, and old laptop, a Wii and DS, all of which surf (although one machine only in black and white).

Currently virtually only use three desktops and the Wii. I would argue that desktops are greener, over their lifecycle. Easier to upgrade/repair, and more reliable - therefore if production and replacement energy included (plus disposal of NiCds etc) desktop may well be greener.

I use both, but mostly the lappy these days. When I am doing any development work I use the desktop since as it has a larger monitor.

The small screen on my portable laptop is not so great for this.

The solution is to have a docking station that you plug the laptop into. The company I work for ships the docking station with any laptop. You can plug any large hi-rez monitor into the docking station along with a regular or ergo keyboard. Also increased the number of USB ports.

The solution is to have a docking station that you plug the laptop into. The company I work for ships the docking station with any laptop. You can plug any large hi-rez monitor into the docking station along with a regular or ergo keyboard. Also increased the number of USB ports.

Yeah I was thinking about this for the last little while, and it is something that I am going to do when the computer dies.

I like being able to completely seperate my development work and my personal/business work. There are a large number of programs that I need for testing, developing, etc that I would rather not have to bloat my current lappy with.

What I am going to do is buy a 17" lappy w/ dock to connect to my current set up when the computer dies. This would give me some portability and also keep the same set up that I am currently comfortable with

Bluenoser, big 10-4. I have been using this setup for about 3 years. Have a USB extender cable that gives me a USB port right beside the ergonomic keyboard for swaping USB drives (keep projects separated on different drives). But, since I have a wireless DSL router, if I want to I can go out on the screened in porch and surf in the cool breeze(when its a tad warmer than now).