Green Blog

Pollution risk for Olympic events

Simon

Olympic chief Jacques Rogge says air pollution could lead to some events at the 2008 Beijing Games being postponed.

Speaking a year to the day before the start of the 2008 Games, the president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said: "It is an option.

"Sports with short durations would not be a problem, but endurance sports like cycling are examples of competitions that might be postponed or delayed."

Billions have been spent in an attempt to reduce pollution without success.

Read more over at Pollution risk for Olympic events[/url:070bd].

In athens too. The problem was seriously big... but with some billions it was decreased a lot. Although we have the same problems again and even worse...

In china though there is much more air pollution than athens! Hope that changes!

They tried but they still haven't made any progress?

They had to hold the olympics to do something about their air pollution-totally pathetic!

Anyway,better this than nothing...If they really try they will reduce it,we did!

I only have a question:

Why the Olympic Committee, when the contest was realized for the games of 2008, decided to attribute the realization of this event to China?

They are the biggest polluter on earth, they aren't a democracy and they don't respect the human rights

In athens too. The problem was seriously big... but with some billions it was decreased a lot. Although we have the same problems again and even worse...

In china though there is much more air pollution than athens! Hope that changes!

You can't solve a problem by wasting money on it for a small period of time...

They tried but they still haven't made any progress?

They had to hold the olympics to do something about their air pollution-totally pathetic!

Anyway,better this than nothing...If they really try they will reduce it,we did!

Well, the best thing would be to shut down all the coal plants, dirty factories etc etc... Maybe they haven't thought of that?

I only have a question:

Why the Olympic Committee, when the contest was realized for the games of 2008, decided to attribute the realization of this event to China?

They are the biggest polluter on earth, they aren't a democracy and they don't respect the human rights

I hear you! And Russia got to hold the winter OS... It's a crasy world.

I guess you are right,China shouldn't hold the Olympics...But their is a point for letting them do so...Maybe the committee thought Chinese would improve(not only environmentally) if they were to hold the Olympics...Chinese are bound to try to improve the whole situation,since they are going to be watched globally.And besides,it would look a little suspicious if the committee never chose them...

I believe the olimpics will do great good to china... Many people will propably realize what democrasy is, cause olimpics were made for this reason!!! Should I mention the pollution reduse? I think there gonna finally understand in what problems their into.

Majority of the population is illiterate.I think the only thing most of them will understand will be the fact that suddenly many people out of work got a job for some years.As for democracy...Even if all of them understand how nice it is,they will still be unable to change their political stage

I don't think it's so difficult for china to change their pollitical stage, cause if only the 1/4 of the population demand it, it's near 500milion people and even more... If a start is done, many chinese will come along cause they will see how good democrasy is!!!

Hope you are right,though I doubt if they make it.

Anyway,I think it would be more crucial to make them understand environmental matters,but this is also quite uncertain...Most of them are poor/illiterate etc,I dunno if they get it right...We will see the effects of the Olympics on them afterwards...

They may actually make it,you never know...But I hope they are successful enough to drop pollution levels for a long time,not like us,after our Olympics pollution levels rose again...

Hope they are active enough..

They may actually make it,you never know...But I hope they are successful enough to drop pollution levels for a long time,not like us,after our Olympics pollution levels rose again...

Hope they are active enough..

Hope so too... But I believe they're gonna do the same thing as we did. Reduse the polution for the olimpics and then rise it up again...