Green Blog

Did Live Earth make a difference?

Simon

From http://liveearth.msn.com/green/bestofgreen

It rolled across the continents, from Sydney, Australia to New Jersey, and even featured an open-air musical performance in Antarctica. When the Live Earth concerts ended late on July 7, more than 100 musical acts -- from aboriginal dancers to reunited '80s rock bands -- had delivered a musical spectacle, all the while urging concertgoers -- and a worldwide TV and Web audience -- to take action against global warming.

Live Earth organizers described it as the biggest musical event ever staged, but that didn' t stop criticism from many who questioned whether rock stars -- with their high-consumption lifestyle -- were the appropriate messengers for a low-impact future. Others, notably Bob Geldof, organizer of the Live Aid and Live 8 concerts in 1985 and 2005, questioned the event's ultimate effectiveness, especially considering that the usual measure of success for such ventures -- raising money -- was not a primary goal of Live Earth.

So, we'd like to know what you think: Was Live Earth a towering success -- the "tipping point" for climate awareness, as some have put it -- or merely a publicity stunt for its many players? Vote in our poll to the right of this article. And if you've got something more you'd like to say, drop it in this thread[/url:2262e] in our message boards.

In the meantime, check out some of our hand-picked 'green' highlights from Live Earth below, moments when the call for action took center stage.

Vote in our own poll about Live Earth!

I think it was an awesome way to make people listen to the problems of global warming. I already know a few people who have been trying to do a few things differently to help since the concerts icon_smile.gif

It was a great weekend which made lots of people to clear their minds and start to worry about the enviroment. Although I can't make it clear, people should help earth all by treirselves!Why the bands should push us to help?I just don't get it! We voluntear to help the earth, as the bands did.

It was a great weekend which made lots of people to clear their minds and start to worry about the enviroment. Although I can't make it clear, people should help earth all by treirselves!Why the bands should push us to help?I just don't get it! We voluntear to help the earth, as the bands did.

Agree completly