Green Blog

Ways you conserve water

zararina

What are your ways or habits to conserve water?

Here are some ways I know and what I do at home to conserve some water.

- Used water from taking a bath and washing clothes are use to clean the floor, flush the toilet and wash the rags.

- Use glass when brushing teeth

- Collect rainwater and use it on some cleaning activities and flushing the toilet

- Use dipper instead of shower when taking a bath.

Usually when I'm washing the dishes I save the water after the 2nd rinse of the dishes to cleaning activities, such as cleaning the toilet. Water supply is somehow scarce in our area so we have huge containers at home which we fill up during the night to be used the next day. Anyhow, thanks for the cool tips, simple ways that could help conserve water.

• 5 months later...

My girlfriend is from Australia, they experience droughts in the summer, weeks or even months with no rain. Rain water storage tanks are popular over there. My girlfriend's family actually own a thriving water tank business. I use a water tank at home and use rain water as often as possible.

• 3 months later...

What are your ways or habits to conserve water?

Here are some ways I know and what I do at home to conserve some water.

- Used water from taking a bath and washing clothes are use to clean the floor, flush the toilet and wash the rags.

- Use glass when brushing teeth

- Collect rainwater and use it on some cleaning activities and flushing the toilet

- Use dipper instead of shower when taking a bath.

These really are some fantastic tips. There's never been an issue with water in our area, but if ever there is, at least I'm a little bit more prepared! Thanks.

We have plenty of rain here in England. utilizing the rainwater is a great way to conserve water and also reduce your bill. We have two big rainwater storage facilities. Incidentally, my girlfriend is Australian and her family own a water storage container business. They are popular in parts of Australia because of the droughts.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Wow great tips...saving water is a great way to help the environment. Another way to save water is to buy and use concentrated cleaning products. Your basic cleaning products cost more and make their companies more money by using un-needed water in their products. When you use cleaning products from a company that makes green non toxic concentrated cleaning products you not only conserve unnecessary water but even cut down on the manufacturing cost and transportation costs and another great green bonus is less gas emissions in the air to hurt the environment as well. I love these products and use them all the time and they not only are safe and green but they are extremely effective. Can't beat that!

Edited by simonleuf
Removed spam/ads content

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely do not use the hose when washing my car. That's a lot of water wasted so I stick to using pale and dipper. And yes little things like brushing my teeth by using a glass of water would actually help as well. If all of us are doing that then water would be conserved.

• 1 year later...

I never throw water out if I can still use it for something. I use it to water the plants or to wash the floors or furniture, especially the water for washing clothing.

It rains a lot in our area. In fact, floods are common that cleaning up can require so much water from the faucet. To save water for cleaning the mud-covered floors, we save rain water in barrels which we can use for cleaning. We also use some of the flood water as it recedes to initially wash away the heavy mud. The rain water is for secondary cleaning, and then finally the clean water is used for final cleanup.

We also use the rinse water from laundry to clean the bathroom and outdoor tiles and concrete floors.

The biggest way I conserve water is to shower once every other day as opposed to doing it everyday.  Some of you may be thinking "gross" right now, but I do not have a job or do much that involves profusive sweat or anything like that so I stay pretty clean.  If I do engage in hard work or go out hiking, then I do shower afterward.  I also don't wash my denim jeans after each use if they are not dirty, this saves on water used to run the washing machine.

When I shower I only open the tap a little to wet my hair and my body, which I then soap and once again rinse off with very little water. I am very aware of saving water as I am always conscious of the fact that we could find ourselves in a situation without water. I believe that I never will because I have always tried to save and reuse it by recycling.

These are all great tips.  I think I need to look into getting a rainwater barrel.  I do not have one yet, and it sounds like I should.  I could use the collected water around the house for cleaning.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My country has periods of plenty of rain followed by years with no rain. We are very much dependent on rain water for our agriculture, drinking water and more. We have maxed out the use of our ground water. Yet, we see a lot of wastage everywhere and it bleeds my heart when I see water being wasted. 

I try to do the following:

1. Created percolation pits to recharge ground water at different points in the yard to minimize rainwater runoff

2. Reuse water as much as possible. Water from mopping floors goes to watering trees. Laundry water goes to flush toilets, kitchen water used to wash vegetables, grains etc goes to watering potted plants. 

3. excess Rainwater from roofs are collected in large drums to be used for bathing, washing clothes etc.

4. Rarely use showers. Water from taps collected in mugs for use during brushing, shaving, hand washing etc.