Green Blog

Zoo for animals or Natural habitat.

kat74

Where I come from we have almost 10 natural wildlife reserves or if you want game parks. We don't have zoo but we have animal orphanage were the sick and orphaned animals are brought to be taken care of before being returned to the wilderness. Would you rather have all the animals returned to their natural habitat or remain in the zoo.

It depends I think if they can still survive in the wildlife since there are just animals that seems not fit anymore to come back to the wild. There could be so many predators in the wild including some other threats just like those hunters and collectors that will not care if that specie is already the last of its kind.

It depends, if the animals to be freed to their natural habitat aren't the species most wanted by haunters that won't be much of a problem. I guess a national reserve would be most appropriate for animals hunted by poachers. It is not a zoo but it is protected by some agencies of the government where poachers are not allowed and hunting is illegal. :) This is what we're thinking of an 16hectares agricultural land we own, we plan on converting the area into a reserve area to protect the natural habitat of the area, it is more of a mountain. :P

• 5 months later...

I agree - if these animals are not wanted by hunters/predators, then by all means, they should be released into the wilderness. There is nothing more amazing than to see lions, kangaroos, kudus, springboks, and the likes to roam freely.

I really dislike zoos. The animals should be able to wander around freely in their natural habitat instead of being locked inside a small confined area while being stressed from all the zoo visitors. Before they could have played an important educational role for people. But today they just feel so outdated. We don't need zoos anymore to educate people and children about animals. A nature documentary/film/photo works just as good today imo.

I really dislike zoos. The animals should be able to wander around freely in their natural habitat instead of being locked inside a small confined area while being stressed from all the zoo visitors. Before they could have played an important educational role for people. But today they just feel so outdated. We don't need zoos anymore to educate people and children about animals. A nature documentary/film/photo works just as good today imo.

Okay and where do the animals go? The problem with this is that there are many animals that have never been outside of captivity and so would be dead in no time if released. Furthermore I would rather have some animals on exhibit and alive then have no animals prancing around in the none existent wild. I mean even the last bastions of wilderness are being invaded thanks to Google Earth, Hollywood, and Big Business.

I have attended zoos and the circus as a child, but I don't think I will now as an adult. I only agree to it if these animals can't be naturalized back into the wild, but the circus and for profit places like sea world are just bad news to me.

I am a member of my zoo, but most of the membership money goes to care for the animals. Not only that the zoo where I live tries to establish itself as a great place by providing as close to natural habitat as possible for the animals. Sadly in preserves it can be hard to find people who can stop poachers from going in and killing the animals in my experiences.

Okay and where do the animals go? The problem with this is that there are many animals that have never been outside of captivity and so would be dead in no time if released. Furthermore I would rather have some animals on exhibit and alive then have no animals prancing around in the none existent wild. I mean even the last bastions of wilderness are being invaded thanks to Google Earth, Hollywood, and Big Business.

Animals can be released back into the wild again. There are countless of reintroduction programs that does just this. Of course I understand that some animals might not be able to be released. But that doesn't mean we should continue to lock them inside.

Also what does Google Earth and Hollywood have to do with this? :unsure:

I have attended zoos and the circus as a child, but I don't think I will now as an adult. I only agree to it if these animals can't be naturalized back into the wild, but the circus and for profit places like sea world are just bad news to me.

I find circuses that travel around with animals just as, or even more, despicable than zoos. Luckily more and more circuses, over here at least, are moving away from shows that involve animals and instead chooses to focus on clowns and other forms of performance.

The animals should be reintroduced to their natural habitat and the zoos should be closed down. I enjoyed visiting the zoo as a child, but I haven't visited a zoo as an adult. My son is five and he wants to go to the zoo, I suppose I will have to take him eventually.

• 2 years later...

Although these animals are well taken care of in a zoo, I am sure they would be happier in their natural habitat. Providing they are able to take care of themselves and are not protected. Most zoo animals are usually placed for protection.