Green Blog

What does your personal diet pyramid look like?

Lennox

Or is it more like a pie chart? An Excel spreadsheet, maybe?

I can't trust the latest diet pyramids anymore. They keep changing, and I suspect it's more to do with the commercial power of food industries essentially bribing researchers for a bigger place on the pyramid than any progressing research by medical doctors into what actually nourishes us--let alone what's good for the environment!

Mostly, I go for what's locally-grown. That means a lot of rice, some vegetables, and a few meats (mostly poultry, rarely fish). The local nuts aren't anything special, but I do always enjoy whatever fruits happen to be in season.

You are so right. It seems there is a new pyramid almost every week, made up by someone else. It is best to develop your own, something that fits in with your lifestyle and stick to it.

• 1 month later...

I recently read In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan and it shows how crazy the current 'recommended' food pyramid is. The idea that fats are bad and grains are good is still out there and yet all (or most of) the evidence shows the opposite.