Green Blog

Keystone; useless, expensive, polluting

Mark Piazzalunga

I really hope that one day when a human sees an oil tank will decide not to burn it, I hope that will choose to leave it. Unfortunately a lot of people still want to burn oil and to use it, ignoring the environment.

In these days one of the hot topics is Keystone pipeline which is, according to my opinion, useless, expensive and polluting.There's no need to tell why a pipeline is polluting. The endless spills talk for themselves. Useless for the creation of a better energy system built on clean energy. Useful for the generation of electricity but the price is too high. Talking about prices and numbers:

- "A cost of $7 billion putting 20,000 US workers to work." says the CEO of TransCanada, the company that should build the pipeline.

- Different studies confirmed that the pipeline would create only 2,000 temporary jobs.

- President Obama stated "The most realistic estimates are this might create maybe 2,000 jobs during the construction of the pipeline, which might take a year or two, and then after that we're talking about somewhere between 50 and 100 jobs in an economy of 150 million working people."

One of the argument that supports Keystone is that the current way to transport oil (rails) is unsafe. True fact, although pipeline isn't so safer and I think that the best way to avoid these tragedies is not transport oil, not use it.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree!

1. The Keystone XL pipeline would not reduce foreign oil dependency.
2. Contrary to popular opinion, Keystone XL would have increased domestic oil prices.
3. Proponents of the pipeline overstated the number of jobs that would be created.
4. Current Keystone pipeline leaked 12 times in last year.
5. And the environmental concerns about oil leaks are justified.
6. Mining tar sands would worsen global warming. Or in the words of NASA climate scientist James Hansen, be "game over for the planet."

• Like 1

At the beginning people who decided to protest against Keystone XL were a minority but now, day after day, the number increases and I hope USA will say no to the pipeline.

Usually I'm not against every new project, I support those that won't bring any damages to the environment or to the people and it's an objectiv fact that Keystone XL is dangerous. Unfortunately money and personal interests are more important for the people that decides.

At the beginning people who decided to protest against Keystone XL were a minority but now, day after day, the number increases and I hope USA will say no to the pipeline.

I hope so as well. But I doubt it will be stopped. And even if it is stopped there are other similar pipelines that will be built.

• 1 month later...

Finally I see a strong opposition not just to Keystone but to all fossil fuels lobby from the US Government. If Keystone won't work Canadian government will see in US a country with a disinterest to oil market and will direct its oil from the State of Alberta to Vancouver and then shipped to China.

A victory for US but what about China? To finally end oil lobby all countries must participate, even Canada.