Green Blog

How can we avoid climate fatigue?

Simon

I can imagine that, just like me, you read a lot of news and reports regarding our climate and environment. And lets not kid ourself. For the most part, the news are bad. To be honest, sometimes I just have enough of all the doom and gloom. So I try to repress it, because what's the point? We're never going to reach a global climate consensus and get our asses moving in the right direction... 

That's my thinking sometimes. I am sure you have felt the same thing at least once. 

So how can we refrain from getting depressed? How can we manage to stay positive in light of all the never-ending bad news about our climate, the increasing deterioration of our environment and the destruction of our precious and unique wildlife and ecosystems? 

Or maybe you have already given up?

I understand the frustration when you read all the terrible news regarding our environment situation that's getting worse day after day. But we must remember that green politics made giant steps in the past years. Fourty years ago green parties and organizations didn't exist and now there are milions of people fighting against climate change. I find encouraging U.N. role against global warming but what the environment needs is that governments change their minds, that company change their politics. Someone must continue to shout that environment has to be protect.

This website is one of the reasons not to feel depressed because even if every day situation gets worse more people join green communities and I'm sure that one day the number and the courage of the people who want to protect the environment will change the situation. I believe this and I'm sure we can make this.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the important thing to do is look at the smaller picture instead of the bigger picture. There will always be doom & gloom in the news, with climate change deniers hogging the limelight. Here in Australia, we even have a Prime Minister who is dismissive of climate change science.

Thankfully, my local communities do not reflect that. In fact there's been a lot of grassroots support for the environment. In fact, we even crowd funded a the Climate Council, after their funding was cut by Abbott. There is still hope. http://www.climatecouncil.org.au/

Knowing that there are so many green communities it's a relief. Deny climate change science is just stupid, it means deny the evidence. It's time that every government understands that climate change is real and it's a danger and starts to act.

• 5 weeks later...

It breaks my heart when I see calamities like typhoons, floods, and tsunamis and I often ask myself what did we do to the world we live in. I also get frustrated when people do not care and do not even think about climate change. It doesn't make sense, we only have one Earth and we don't even take care of it. As an ordinary person, it would be in great help to avoid climate change by simply becoming responsible with our day to day activities. Like recycling, being aware of energy consumption and many other. We should not wait until we could not do anything anymore. If we want change we should do it now.

• 1 month later...

By looking at the smaller picture of your community and what you are able to do, you will remain positive. You need to to measure yourself by looking how far you have come and what you or your community have managed to achieve. Setting goals and constantly assessing them will help keep you motivated. Don't be fooled we are achieving an gaining ground, however slow it may seem. This all began when one person began to take note of what was going on, now there are many taking note!

Also, I think you just need to learn to appreciate and dwell in the beauty of the things around you.  Yes, we need to help conserve, educate, and do our parts.  However, I don't want to think about all the doom.  I think change starts out small and gets bigger in time.  Start with yourself then families then city, etc.  

Twenty years ago renewable energy was science fiction and climate change didn't exist, well, it did but nobody knew that. Now renewable energy sector is a market of billion dollars. Companies like Sun Power and Abengoa are quoted in the stock exchanges all over the world. From zero to a hundred billion dollars in just twenty years, with 6.5 million jobs and the constant target to fight climate change. In twenty years where will the green movement be?

We just have to keep the movement alive, keep telling people the risk of climate change is high, keep acting for a greener world. This website is the demonstration of how a green community is beautiful and rich of people from every part of the world.

We just have to keep the movement alive, keep telling people the risk of climate change is high, keep acting for a greener world. This website is the demonstration of how a green community is beautiful and rich of people from every part of the world.

Agreed, but it's not enough just to push the green message. We need to make sure that the environmental movement doesn't get hijacked by special interests, as well as making sure that the solutions won't get watered down to greenwashing business-friendly PR.

• Like 1

I'm sure green movement won't become like Republican oil lobby. There's one thing the global green movement doesn't have: money (and some marketing to get sponsored). It's horrible that climate change is considered less important than Orlando Bloom punching Justin Bieber...