Green Blog

How Russia is silencing its environmentalists in Sochi

Green Blog

Salon writes about the Sochi scandal no one’s talking about. Olympic construction is destroying Sochi. And the government is cracking down on the people who dare to speak out.

"As athletes and fans from around the world descend upon Sochi for the 2014 Winter Olympics, they are (according to some) sitting atop a site of immeasurable loss and irreversible damage to what was once a unique and pristine ecosystem. They’re unlikely, however, to be aware of it, and authorities will be on their guard to prevent anyone with a megaphone or a picket sign from bringing it to their attention. Those would-be protesters are yet another group being silenced in Russia – where, along with everything else, it’s also a crime to defend the environment."

Read it: How Russia is silencing its environmentalists

• 3 months later...

I know I am WAY too late to comment on this issue, but I must let my opinion be known. Witnessing the meltdown in Russia over the past few months explains a lot in terms of their government's violation in human rights. I am not the least bit surprise at this country's insistence that environmentalists are somehow a threat to their version of democracy. Environmentalists challenge those in power regarding issues plaguing their community and country as a whole. Do you really think a country like Russia would allow those who are advocating for change in their everyday living for a healthier environment who mesh well with people who turn their noses up at such actions? No. Not one bit. I am proud these environmentalists stood their ground, even with jail looming over them as a consequence. Those in power seek to silence others who spread knowledge and truth. We can't allow this to happen. And this is why it is important to continue the fight for saving our environment.