Green Blog

The coronavirus crisis got me back on my bike and feeling free

Simon

This chronicle where a man explains how the coronavirus pandemic has caused him to rediscover biking is good, and it explains the very same situation I am now facing as well.

When I moved to London the tube became my default mode of transport and would remain so for years – until a few weeks ago.

Since the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, we have been told to avoid using public transport unless absolutely necessary. I’ve always considered my work to be important, but could I justify squeezing into the underground with doctors and nurses – the true heroes of this crisis – potentially putting them, as well as myself and my Guardian colleagues, at risk?

So I resolve to buy a bike again to allow me to stay mobile while keeping a safe distance from others.

Just like Toby, I've been going to work using public transportation for years now. But since this horrible coronavirus pandemic came to my own country, I've stopped using public transportation and started using my bike again. Luckily, it's spring and the weather is mostly okay. The downside is that my fitness is not what it used to be after years sitting still on a bus. But I like it, honestly, it is refreshing, and my body feels more alert. It also means I don't have to stress and rush to catch my bus, I simply can go whenever I want. 

What about you? Has the coronavirus crisis forced you to use a bike or other transportation alternatives? Or maybe it's the opposite for you, and you are back to using your old car again?