Green Blog

Watch: Chernobyl's Radioactive Wolves

Simon

Watch this 1 hour long documentary on youtube about Chernobyl's radioactive wildlife:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6sdQ59g_xg

There have been massive increases in large carnivores in the nuclear wasteland around Chernobyl creating a complete ecosystem and one of Europe's largest wildlife sanctuaries -- and yet it's radioactive. Where humans can't live, nature is rebounding and somewhere in this vast nuclear wilderness, there are packs of radioactive wolves, living in an archaic structure that has vanished from other parts of Europe. Here they can thrive, here they can live like real wolves in large packs as they used to. Before 1986, the zone was heavily farmed and populated, and wolves were scarce. In less than 25 years there are an estimated 300+ wolves making the most of this deceptively beautiful landscape. But are these they mutants? Have they been affected by nuclear contamination after the 1986 explosion which released 100 times more radio-nuclides than Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined?

I haven't had the time to watch it yet, but it sounds very interesting.

I had watched it and it was very interesting to see lot of animal species on an area where there was a high amount of radiation. Maybe some other new species are there such as in plants/trees that had been mutated because of the nuclear plant explosion.

• 9 months later...

Ahh unfortunately this video has been removed from youtube. It sounds really fascinating though and I will try and track it down through some other method. Did you learn much from watching it? Do you think this is still happening in Ukraine?

• 1 year later...

I have heard about this, but not been able to watch it yet. However, it does make me wonder how they can not be affected. I am sure if they were tested we would find that they are not as healthy as they appear to be.