Green Blog

PALM SUGAR THE HEALTHY SECRET.

antioxidantking

Why palm sugar is a better alternative to processed sugar.

Palm sugar is a nutrient-rich, low-glycemic crystalline sweetener that looks, tastes, dissolves and melts almost exactly like sugar, but it's completely natural and unrefined. It's acquired from palm flowers growing high up and out of reach by most people, then they are opened to collect their liquid flower nectar. This nectar is then air-dried to form a crystalline sugar that's naturally brown in color and naturally rich in a number of key minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients, including potassium, zinc, iron, and vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B6.

Like refined and bleached sugar it is far superior. So the nutrients are still there in a raw sugar crystal form or made into a golden liquid like honey called palm syrup a rare commodity made by a small company ecolurve that hold the secrets to this recipe. Flavors included in their range are cinnamon and pandan a 100% natural healthy product.

• Like 2

Nice to know that aside from honey, palm sugar could also be a healthy substitute for sugar. Although I am not that aware if this kind of sugar already exists in a local market here. Maybe will try to look for it and see if this one is affordable and also give a good taste.

Hi Its a lot healthier I have it every day :) love it :wub: in just about everything that needs sweetness.

The PALM Liquid is the best its like Maple syrup also from a tree, around 60 different products come from the Arenga Palm so its a winner all around especially supporting village communities with work.

You must have it there where you live somewhere if not you should sell it there it will become so popular.

You can get it 100% natural at the wholesale distributor ECOlurve.com.

Let me know how you go,good luck :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Sounds great - I will give it a try IF I can get my hands on it. I generally use xylitol which is completely natural...extracted from certain fruit and some trees...and it is low GL, low GI and is safe for diabetics etc...and what I really love is that it is good on the teeth, it actually encourages healthy teeth rather than decay it.

As an addition, palm sugar sounds like a piece of awesomeness. I will research it and see where I can find it. Thank you for the share.

• 5 months later...

You are right, palm sugar does offer an impressive array of nutrients and minerals, however, it is still sugar and it should therefore be consumed in moderation. I personally avoid sugar in general but I do buy organic palm sugar and use it when I fancy a treat from time to time. Raw honey is the other sweetener I use.

This is easy to get in my home country and we used a lot of palm sugar, instead of the normal sugar, and you are right, greenman, it should still be consumed in moderation. I have yet to find it here in Cape Town. I should check when I go grocery shopping!

• 2 years later...

Great info! I was wondering where the sugar came from, because I didn't think that the fruit or nuts from the coconut palm were particularly sweet. I never thought that it could have come from flower nectar. Now I know!

I've also heard that this has a low glycemic index, so while it's still sugar and should still be eaten in moderation, it can be more suitable for diabetics than many other refined cane or beet sugars.

I'm fortunate enough to live someplace where the sugar is stocked at grocery stores, too, but I should keep an eye out for if the syrup version is also available.