Green Blog

Discuss the new EU climate deal

Simon

Smoke and mirrors. The deal’s target is to achieve a 20% reduction in emissions by 2020 compared to 1990 levels. Sounds grand, eh? But unfortunately it isn’t. Emission levels in the EU are already 9% lower than in 1990. Furthermore, countries and companies will be able to offset their emissions with credits purchased from non-EU countries. So, rather than leading to a 20% reduction, the actual result may a reduction IRO 5%. That’s better than nothing, but it’s certainly not enough.

Smoke and mirrors. The deal’s target is to achieve a 20% reduction in emissions by 2020 compared to 1990 levels. Sounds grand, eh? But unfortunately it isn’t. Emission levels in the EU are already 9% lower than in 1990. Furthermore, countries and companies will be able to offset their emissions with credits purchased from non-EU countries. So, rather than leading to a 20% reduction, the actual result may a reduction IRO 5%. That’s better than nothing, but it’s certainly not enough.

Smoke and mirrors seem to be the standard reaction to it.

anyone wanna clarify something for me?

whats the difference between the ETS and this plan. i just finished writing a paper on the ETS so i know a lot about it. but these talks have me confused. i thought the ETS was the way for the EU to reduce emmissions but then with that in place what are these talks about? is it about the third trading period? thats my guess...

The deal revises (and supposedly strengthens) the ETS in addition to introducing a number of other measures/targets.

From what I have read the key word is "supposedly", in reality it still appears to be smoke and mirrors.