Green Blog

REcycled Nokia

Steve_Barker

Nice tip Steve! :)

Nokia hasn't said if it's planning to release the Remade handset, but the company already has a history of developing eco-friendly phones and accessories. The faceplate of its upcoming 3110 Evolve handset is made from 50 per cent recycled materials. It's also pledged to cut the average amount of energy used by its AC adaptors by 50 per cent.

• 2 weeks later...

Recycle of raw materials is a must, but recycle itself is not eco-friendly at all. For example, I forgot the exact figure, but over 50% of recycled consumer electronics go to China; that's where they recycle. The way it's done is that a bunch of low skilled (or I should probably say no-skilled) laborers take them apart by hands and sort them manually. All recycled consumer electronics are dumped and piled up all over the place. No roof, nothing. When it rains, the rain turns into toxic water, and this water contaminates the soil. As a result, towns where they recycle bring water from outside; they cannot drink their water because it's toxic. They used to be able to drink water; they're going completely backward.