Green Blog

Bottom trawling

armadillo

Bottom trawling is awful!!! I can't even imagine how did they started it. Every time it's been released in the sea, it takes with it huge amounts of fish(rear fish too),plants,corals, etc and it leaves behind nothing. The path that it creates cannot be replaced again!!!( by corals and fish I mean)

Even if it is banned in some countries you have surely heard of pirate fishing...Whatever governments have said about bottom trawling,I know for sure that nothing special has been done to stop it

This is really bad! There's must be a way to be stopped. Any suggestions?

A worldwide ban is what we need and strong penalties for those who get caught using this method.

I have a feeling though,that those pirate fishermen or others who perform botoom trawling,have found ways to make governments ignore their actions..By giving money under the table,or sth like that...And let's not forget that as long as people demand to have fish on their table,fishermen will continue to overfish them...

I say that a law is needed which will state that no fish is to be consumed for six months,or sth like that...By this way fish would have time to breed normally...And during this time,fishermen out of business would be paid by their nations...Difficult measure to be taken eh?

I have a feeling though,that those pirate fishermen or others who perform botoom trawling,have found ways to make governments ignore their actions..By giving money under the table,or sth like that...And let's not forget that as long as people demand to have fish on their table,fishermen will continue to overfish them...

I say that a law is needed which will state that no fish is to be consumed for six months,or sth like that...By this way fish would have time to breed normally...And during this time,fishermen out of business would be paid by their nations...Difficult measure to be taken eh?

I agree with that method, but goverments won't. Difficult measure for goverments

Really?Do we actually use fish as a food for those animals?I thought we gave fish only to cats...That is really bad,are u sure of it?
I just did a quick google search on it:

About two thirds of the fish meal produced annually is used to make chicken, pig and cattle feed. “When you compare fish to alternative protein sources, fish win hands down,” he says, adding that, pound for pound, cows consume several times as much protein as fish before they’re ready for market. He also argues that the development of alternative feeds will cause feed costs to skyrocket, ultimately raising market prices so that only the rich will be able to afford to eat fish. “In nature, chickens and cows don’t eat fish,” he says. “Fish eat fish. What it comes down to is finding the best way to use our resources.”

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/a0 ... drcrd.html

A,thanks Simon,now I got the point...So sad,as if we people are not enough to eat them,we made other animals to eat fish as well...Two thirds then??That's a lot! icon_sad.gif

A,thanks Simon,now I got the point...So sad,as if we people are not enough to eat them,we made other animals to eat fish as well...Two thirds then??That's a lot! icon_sad.gif

It's very much!!! really sad...

But if you look on the bright side,if the two thirds of fish we catch were for us,then it would be very difficult to stop fishing them.Whereas now,we can reduse the amount of fish we catch without us stopping eating them, but animals.What do you think?

• 7 months later...

Yeah, I don't agree very much with it too, as it makes me a little sad, but there's not much I can do about that. Most of these companies, rule the sea anyway and make a lot of profit from their catches. It's not likely that they will stop either, and the Government would just add to that.