Green Blog

Far Out, Man: Wing Chair by Michael Malmborg

Simon

Is it just me who thinks this chair looks awesome!?

With a nod to the past and a peek to the future, Michael Malmborg's WING Chair may just join the ranks of other classic loungers by folks with names like Eames and Jacobsen. We point it out not just as a fantastic-looking chair constructed with heirloom-like quality, but as an example of how design and materials can make a difference. Aside from being made from NASA's memory foam (really -- the same stuff used in the mattress that you can put a glass of red wine on and jump up and down and not spill it) and therefore insanely comfortable, the whole chair shell is made from one piece of intelligently-molded bent plywood.

For those who need a refresher, bent ply is anywhere from eight to 10 times more resource-efficient (wood, in this case) because of the way it's harvested and shaped. At the mill, it's essentially "shaved" off the log, sort of like a paper towel comes off a roll, which makes nearly all of the wood useful (rather than having square pieces of wood cut from a round log). The bending process is also super-efficient; by using pressure and steam to shape the wood, very little needs to be cut, and entire pieces of furniture can be formed from one single sheet of plywood. The Wing chair itself isn't super green, beyond the bent ply, but we like the thinking behind it, and love the looks of the finished product (and the memory foam is a far-out touch). More eye candy after the jump.

Via TreeHugger[/url:5c971]

Is it just me who thinks this chair looks awesome!?

No it isn't just you. This chair is awesome, makes me relax just imagine me laying in that chair