Organic Food  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy organic food?

• Yes, all the time!
    • Yes, sometimes.
    • No, it's too expensive.
    • No, I don't like organic food!

• 2 months later...

I do not automatically buy organic, since I am somewhat suspect of corporate responsibility in this regard. It is unfortunate organic products are typically not even close to comparable with conventional ones. I question this "mark up" especially when you see store brand organics so disparately priced. As an aside, I am a big gardener and grow (and give away) a great deal of vegetables. So I generally never end up buying organic vegetables, but other products like pasta or more processed foods, I really look at before buying.

Well I do try to as much as possible, although unfortunately some of the food I eat is always going to be from non-organic sources. The less damage the better though, even if some is unavoidable.

I am a college student, and right now I am at home for winter break. My mom told me that she actually buys organic fruit. There is this company that will deliver organic fruit to your door! They have a preset menu of the fruits for the week, but you can pick different fruits if you want. You can get organic fruit delivered to your door as often as every week. We get it every other week, and it's great. It's so convenient.

I try to buy organic as much as possible.  You can definitely tell the difference in taste from the standard products.  Any time there is an alternative to a regular product I buy it.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I think the organic label is, in many ways, nothing more than a shortcut around investigating your fod choices in more depth. While there is certainly a time and place for that - I buy a lot of the prepared staples of my kitchen like ketchup, BBQ sauce, and cereal organic rather than read every label every trip - there are other times where doing one's homework can get as good or better products without relying on the label. For example, I get a lot of my family's meats from a local farmer. He isn't organic because his land isn't certified and because while he doesn't use prophylactic or routine antibiotics he will administer them in response to illness or injury. But I'm paying considerably less than grocery store organic prices for pasture raised, humanely slaughtered beef and pork, and I am very comfortable with the way his farm treats their animals and the environment. 

I grow most of my family's produce, but if I am buying something as a treat or out of season that's where I'm most likely to insist upon an organic label. The thought of the chemicals used on berries and other fruit that my kids eat whole makes that one a no-brainer for me. 

I wish I could afford to buy organic foods all the time, but unfortunately, my budget won't allow it. I do when I can afford to, and I'm willing to sacrifice quantity for quality when need be. Ideally, I would have the space to grow organic vegetables and raise some chickens and goats, but that's not an option in my current living circumstances. I think it's good to note than when you do buy organic products, it's important to make sure that they are certified organic; otherwise, you're just wasting your money in many cases.

I think the company that delivers the organic fruit is offering a valuable service. What a great idea!

"Organic" is a KEYWORD used to sell vegetables.  It's about the same as a subsisty from the government, a mark of appoval.

People grow and sell vegetables at, or better than, the quality factory-farmed 'organics' are.

Try to make an effort to get your food from somebody you can shake your hand with.  It will forever increase your quality of life.

I wish, I could buy organic all of the time.  It just isn’t an option.  I do buy much of my fruit and vegetables from local farms.  I live in New Jersey, lucky for me, there are many farms around here.

• 6 months later...

Myself and my family buy organic all of the time. We do the bulk of our shopping at farmer's markets and this is generally where we buy our organic products, if we cannot find it at the farmer's market we will buy it at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. The price can be a bit high but I really believe that an organic diet is healthier for us. We don't just buy organic produce, we also buy organic eggs and meats. I have noticed a huge difference in the taste of organic versus non organic meats. We will continue to buy all organic until we are unable to.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to be able to say that I buy organic food, but most of the time it is just way to expensive.  If something organic is on sale, I will choose that as opposed to something that is not organic, but that does not happen very often.  If I had a much bigger grocery budget, I would buy organic food all of the time.