Hakan

OPCW wins Nobels Peace Prize 2013

Congratulations I guess. But there is a conflict in Syria involving chemical weapons, and BAM! What a coincidence... <_<

Malala Yousafzai deserves it more!

OPCW is awarded the 2013 #NobelPeacePrize "for its extensive efforts to eliminate chemical weapons."

— The Nobel Prize (@NobelPrize) October 11, 2013

I think the OPCW are worthy winners of the Nobel peace prize and I don't see anything wrong with them getting the award in light of the ongoing war in Syria. The OPCW has worked hard for years to eliminate chemical weapons around the world and the Syrian war just underlines the importance of an organization such as the OPCW. Sure, they might not be as well-known as other potential candidates for the prize, but it's not a popularity contest. ;)

"During World War One, chemical weapons were used to a considerable degree. The Geneva Convention of 1925 prohibited the use, but not the production or storage, of chemical weapons. During World War Two, chemical means were employed in Hitler’s mass exterminations. Chemical weapons have subsequently been put to use on numerous occasions by both states and terrorists. In 1992-93 a convention was drawn up prohibiting also the production and storage of such weapons. It came into force in 1997. Since then the OPCW has, through inspections, destruction and by other means, sought the implementation of the convention. 189 states have acceded to the convention to date."

Malala is a brave young woman. There is no question about that. But according to Alfred Nobel, the award is to be given to someone who promotes the reduction of standing military forces OR promotes peace between nations. Malala has done neither so far.