The following touching text is a letter written by a fireman, some months after the one thousand fires Greece endured last summer, and addresses to people all over the world.
"I would like to forget:
- Those 3-4 sheeps we didn't make it to save and heard them terrified as the flames reached them.
- Those birds that didn't make it to leave their trees as the flames circled them, and were falling all over us like leaves in autumn...
- The terrified faces of my colleges when we saw 50-metres-high all around us.
- The panicked voices of other firemen on the phone, telling people got burnt in their houses...
But I wont forget:
- The people on the helicopters who found us a way to avoid the flames at the very last minute.
- The governments, who let people build houses at places where once stood dense forests.
- That we made it to save a family and their dog, animals and properties from the flames.. it will help me sleep at night...
- THAT I AM A HUMAN BEING, WHO SHOULD BE SORRY FOR ALL HIS LIFE ABOUT THE BIGGEST CATASTROPHIES LIFE ON EARTH HAS EVER ENDURED, DUE TO ITS SPECIES ACTIONS.
My question is:
addressed to all governments and rich people on this planet :What are you going to do with all this money if you can't see a tree growing near your big cold house?When you won't be able to breath due to lack of oxygen..?
Just some ash left on our hair...murderes..."
Image credit: NASA.