Photo credit: Brave New Films
But Moore says he feel "joy" about the fact that the American people now owns 60% of GM and that he is confident "we can do a better job". He is also calling for a swift transformation of GM into a modern and environmentally-friendly company that produces cars for the future, and that the old GM factories start to produce windmills and solar panels. In short Moore is suggesting the following:
- Convert the auto factories to factories that build mass transit vehicles and alternative energy devices.
- Donâ€™t lay off more workers. Instead use them to help build the new modes of the 21st century transportation.
- Invest in high-speed railway across the nation.
- Put light rail mass transit lines in all our large and medium-sized cities, and build those trains in the GM factories.
- Make GM produce clean and energy efficient buses for the rural areas of USA.
- Have some factories build hybrid or all-electric cars (and batteries), it will only take a month to re-tool the factories.
- Transform some of the empty GM factories to facilities that build windmills, solar panels and other means of alternate forms of energy.
- Provide tax incentives for those who travel by hybrid car or bus or train.
- Help people switch to a more energy efficient car or use the public transportation system more by imposing a two-dollar tax on every gallon of gasoline.
Moore has loads of good ideas but somehow I doubt we will start seeing common sense in the US auto industry some day soon.