Green Computing for Businesses: Because It’s Not Just About Money
Green Computing- A Necessity
Uncurbed maneuvering with the natural resources in the recent century has brought us to a point where we must walk safe or we will perish. Environmental degradation has reached almost the unbearable level in many ways which is why the only sustainable way forward is adopting ‘eco-friendly’ techniques.
Green Computing is a step to safeguard against the degrading environmental conditions on the planet. From manufacturing to usage to disposal, computers have a considerable amount of contribution to the environment illness. Green Computing is meant to minimize this effect on the environment and if possible do something to improve the environmental conditions.
Today, most of the businesses are pivoting around the computer-based operations and hence, there is a lot that Green Computing has on offer. From SMBs to leading global MNCs, all have their specific needs of computers and related resources. Their contribution to environment degradation may vary but cannot be neglected. So, it is crucial for all levels of businesses to adopt Green Computing for a better future.
Why Your Business Should Adopt Green Computing?
The hope of a good future is hardly a substantial reason to attract the money-focused business minds. Still, we have seen many businesses coming up openly in the support of Green computing. Here are the reasons for which businesses can benefit from green computing.
1. Save Money on Bills: As a business, if you believe in ‘Saving money is earning money’, then adopting Green Computing is definitely meant for you. Green Computing involves the usage of devices that consume low energy that eventually saves your expenses as bills on electricity, etc.
2. More Space for Work: Green Computing aims at using technologies that constrain the need of hardware, such as- server, fax machines, etc. and replace them with software-based technologies, like- virtual servers, internet fax, Hosted PBX, etc. This serves the businesses in diminishing the requirements of hardware and dedicated space. The space saved can be used many other productive and eco-friendly efforts.
3. Brag about Green Computing: Many surveys and studies have proven that customers prefer services from the brands that highlight their work for social and environmental causes because going with Green Computing creates a positive influence among the customers. Some studies have also revealed that such businesses even gain priority from other businesses for partnership and other dealings. If you are contributing to the environment, make sure that claim for your efforts.
4. Recognitions and Marketing: Many government agencies, NGOs, environmental groups, media houses, etc. offer special certifications and prizes to businesses for their work for the environmental benefits. It comes as a free advertising for the business as news related to such recognitions keeps you in the limelight. Also, such certifications and recognition logos can even be used on the website and pamphlets that help in creating a reputed-brand feeling in the market.
How to Adopt Green Computing?
In case you are not impressed with the goodness of Green Computing mentioned above you should still take a look at the ways in which you can adopt it and help the planet. Possibly, the ease of adopting it will impress you.
1. Adopt Energy Efficient Devices: To simplify it further, Energy-Star rating for most of the electronic devices has been declared mandatory by most governments across the world. Check out the Energy-Star ratings for the devices that you purchase for your business. Usual recommendation by experts is to opt for the devices with 4-star or better ratings.
2. Switch to Cloud-based Solutions: With the introduction of the cloud, Green Computing has got the real fuel. Basically, it replaces huge server rooms with a simple software installation. Furthermore, with application hosting, it can even replace software installation. Cloud-based solutions eradicate the need of dedicated cables and wires, stores more data than physical storage drives can imagine. One can keep on counting on the benefits of cloud hosting for environment forever and the list might keep growing.
3. Avoid Printing or Make Most of Each Printed Page: Use emails, Internet Fax, etc. instead of usual printed pages. Minimizing page consumption is a multi-way benefit as it saves on manufacturing, disposal, and maintenance cost to a great extent. However, running a business with zero consumption of pages is not possible for all. In such cases, using smaller fonts, narrow margins, both-side printing, etc. can be a very valuable contribution.
4. Encourage Employees to Follow Eco-Friendly Practices: Most operating systems offer an efficient mode, which can be used for saving expenses on the energy. Employees must be encouraged to use the devices in such modes. Switching off the computer when not in use, sharing of devices, etc. are some of the practices that can be introduced into office culture without much hassle.
5. Recycle and Smart Disposal: Electronic waste (e-waste) is a big issue that the world is facing right now. Try to recycle the electronic devices in a smarter manner and at the time of disposal make sure that you follow the government and manufacturer guidelines.
Business means profit and many businesses have belief in a myth that if they adopt Green Computing, they will have to suffer on the financial terms, which keeps them from helping the environment. However, the results so far have been completely opposite. For almost all levels of businesses, the green computing has brought significant cost cutting in many ways. There are certain procedures that appear to be inviting expenses, such as- buying energy efficient devices. But they have long-term benefits.
Also, various governments are thinking about making it mandatory for businesses to adopt a specific level of Green Computing and the decision is certain to arrive. The only question is when – sooner or later. Today it is ‘making a choice’ and tomorrow it will be ‘following an order’.