The Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama has chosen Joe Biden as his running mate and Vice President. But how green is really Joe Biden? Well, it seems he is green enough for the League of Conservation Voters (LCV) to applaud Barack Obama's choice and to hail Joe Biden in regards to his environmental records.
ScienceSays.net lists "Biden's awesome environmental record" saying he is just as strong on the environment as Obama and that Biden "isn't afraid to say it":
- Supports an 80% reduction in carbon emissions by 2050
- Supports 40 miles-per-gallon fuel efficiency standards by 2017
- Wants the US to use 20% renewable energy by 2020
- Opposes offshore drilling or drilling for oil in the Arctic (ANWR)
- Take Big Oilâ€™s $2 billion dollar tax breaks to pay for offshore wind farms
- Ensured protection of 100% of the coastline in his home state
- Wrote a plan to exchange debt-relief for rainforest protection
- Believes polluters should pay Superfund fees to clean up their toxic waste
- Wants the US to take a stronger stance to end commercial whaling
The League of Conservation Voters also says that Obama's Energy Plan for America "is the most substantive, comprehensive plan ever put forward by a nominee for President," and that Biden's "progressive energy stance" will help to boost Obama's "visionary plan."
"They will usher in a new era of environmental leadership," Gene Karpinski said.
Image credit: Barack Obama @ Flickr. Image licensed under a Creative-Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license.