Green Blog

France must shut down nuclear plants due to heatwaves

Green Blog

Photo credit: christian.senger The Times Online are reporting that France have been forced to close down a third of its nuclear power stations this summer due to heatwaves:

?France is being forced to import electricity from Britain to cope with a summer heatwave that has helped to put a third of its nuclear power stations out of action.

With temperatures across much of France surging above 30C this week, EDF?s reactors are generating the lowest level of electricity in six years, forcing the state-owned utility to turn to Britain for additional capacity.

Fourteen of France?s 19 nuclear power stations are located inland and use river water rather than seawater for cooling. When water temperatures rise,
EDF
is forced to shut down the reactors to prevent their casings from exceeding 50C.?

It seems thirsty nukes can’t take the heat and that climate change puts nuclear energy into hot water. A question we must all ask our self: as the planet is warming up, is nuclear really a smart move?

View the full article

• Like 1

I've never been comfortable with nuclear because I always think about the Chernobyl disaster. This article is another great reason I feel nuclear isn't GREEN.