Green Blog

How to buy responsible, how to buy smart

Eco

I stumbled upon a new website called IzzitGreen.com The website is like Yelp but rates greeness. Its a super cool concept. Users can rate their local businesses (restaraunts, cafes, theaters, dry cleaners, etc) not only on how good they are but how GREEN they are. All the content is user driven, so it really gives the consumer some voice...

Its a small step to changing our habits and attitudes toward consumption.

• 1 month later...

Its a small step to changing our habits and attitudes toward consumption.

Hi!

I want to do more for the environment. I basicly just recycle my rubbish, use bike and bus instead of car, try to do my shopping wisely (eg. more bio products). But I find it difficult to change everything at once, it demands a lot of effort and knowledge. Would you have any other tips how to reduce my consumption, starting with some "small and easy" things, so that I wouldn't feel so overwhelmed but at the same time I could gradually accumulate the good impact on the environment? Thanks :)

Hi!

I want to do more for the environment. I basicly just recycle my rubbish, use bike and bus instead of car, try to do my shopping wisely (eg. more bio products). But I find it difficult to change everything at once, it demands a lot of effort and knowledge. Would you have any other tips how to reduce my consumption, starting with some "small and easy" things, so that I wouldn't feel so overwhelmed but at the same time I could gradually accumulate the good impact on the environment? Thanks :)

Hi Biker,

:whistle: I hope I don't seem to be pushy but I've lived off-the-net for a while now and being a science and tech nerd I get your questions a lot from friends, family and friends of theirs so I decided to try to help out by getting online. This thread and this site are certainly good places to learn and I hope I can help make it better for everyone with some of my science and tech background.

What I found was most people wanted to change but didn't know how and when they found out how they really needed convincing to keep going. They don't want to go back to the basics... at least not until they're comfortable with where they were and could see where they're going. And most of all they love their gadgets (admit it guys, this blog couldn't be here without them... internet, computer, mouse, keyboard etc.)

So I decided to collect whatever useful tech I could find and create a site that mixes the info with the products and give you tips on what to do next and how to tie each one into the previous and next to really start to see major changes.

Check it out, I called it Eco Powered Tech to signify the use and merging of eco friendly gadgets with energy saving gadgets and clean energy sources. If you step through the site in the order presented on the left menu you'll get the idea. Or you can peek ahead to some of the juicy tidy-up tidbits to help you reduce cost, reduce energy, reduce waste and help to reduce global pollution.

I've only recently begun it as I said, but I'm finding some really good deals (some cool wind and solar home kits on the way soon!) and trying to pass them and as much savings as possible on to my visitors. You won't find anything frivolous or gratuitous there (eg. I promote rechargeable batteries to wean you off wasteful non-rechargeables but I don't promote frivolous gadgets with custom rechargeable batteries because custom batteries break the reuse green rule - you can't use them to power anything else... unless you're a techie like me). If you do see anything you don't like please drop me comments or suggestions and I'll do what I can to change it.

Hope this helps and sorry for the near-sales-pitch :rolleyes:

Hi!

I think you are doing many things already! One more thing is to slowly start eating less meat. Less cow meat and more chicken... You can read a little more about the meat industry here. :)

You should first make it easy to do all those things you wrote in your message. For example when it comes to recycling,you can have organised bins for each type of recycling,and they should be placed where this material is used,so that it is easy for you to throw it where you should. Then you should get informed about bus schedules,so that you can choose them more often... :cute:

I think you are doing many things already! One more thing is to slowly start eating less meat. Less cow meat and more chicken... You can read a little more about the meat industry here. :)

Less cow meat is better all the way around for a health standpoint. I go for fish and chicken myself. Todays beef is just one step away from being a "processed food". :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all! :)

I thought I wasn't doing much yet...

You're right, changes should be made in a way that it isn't difficult and doesn't feel like a burden.

EcoTech look sgood. And saving money at the same time is always good :) I'm not sure if I'll ever need all those stuff but when I do need to buy something new or change my bulbs I'll try to consider their energy consumption and find the most efficient in the long run.

Wow, I had no idea about the in vitro meat development. i wonder if it's really necessary. Do we really want to eat meat so badly and so much? I'm aware that becoming a vegetarian would be more environmentally friendly. I will start by eating meat less often and less red meat. How do you make sure you get everything you need (proteins etc.)? Would you happen to know some "Vegetarianism for dummies"-site?

Do you know any way to assess or calculate my impact on the environment or compare different choices? for example which is better chicken or porc, driving car or taking train? or how much am I helping by recycling compared to throwing things away (well this is obvious but you see my point?).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the Izzitgreen site!! Looks interesting! - I'll check it out!

Biker, you can see your daily vitamin/mineral intake on fitday.com or Cronometer... (they're approximate, but at least give you some idea...)

I was aghast at how little zinc, B12 and some other nutrients I was taking in with the vegetarian-ish lifestyle, so I then started eating a bit more meat, & considered supplements...

Vegetarianism/veganism is a great concept, you must make sure to eat enough good nutrients though.. (or take supplements) & it may not be for everyone, some people are healthier one way or another... everyone needs to find a proper balance for best health...

I agree about fishy & chemicals-laden meat products in stores, & some beef can be very bad... Try to buy organic grass-fed if you can... see if there are any local organic farmers you could buy from directly.. (& cheaper, you might get to eg pick your own apples for free even, sometimes.. if it's a good year..)

Basically, what you can do is write down a list of products you use, & see if there are greener alternatives... online, in health food stores... & maybe you don't even need to use them at all! (or less often than you thought...)