Green Blog

China is now the world's biggest polluter

Green Blog

China is number one, in greenhouse gas emissions that is. A report from the University of California says that Chinas greenhouse gas emissions have been “underestimated” and that the country probably took the number one position from USA in 2006-2007.

According to the research “unchecked future growth will dwarf any emissions cuts made by rich nations under the Kyoto Protocol.”

Dr Auffhammer, lead researcher, said in an interview with BBC that:

“Our figures for emissions growth are truly shocking. But there is no sense pointing a finger at the Chinese. They are trying to pull people out of poverty and they clearly need help. The only solution is for a massive transfer of technology and wealth from the West.”

And he is of course correct. A large part of the western industries have moved to China and other development and low-cost countries. China, for example, produces the gadgets, clothes and other stuff that we, in the western world, consume.

It also doesn't really matter if China is the top carbon polluter in the world. They still have a low per capita levels of pollution compared to USA. USA’s per capita levels are around five to six times higher than China's.

The UN insists “that rich countries with high per capita levels of pollution must cut emissions first, and help poorer countries to invest in clean technology.”

And just like Dr Auffhammer said, China and the other development countries are just doing it the same way we did when we become developed countries. It is of course sad and extremely bad that China is now polluting the most. But emissions in USA, Europe and elsewhere are still growing. Not a single developed country today is doing enough, so why should the poorer countries be held responsible?

Image credit: Haldini. Image licensed under a Attribution-Share Alike license.

View the full article

But emissions in USA, Europe and elsewhere are still growing. Not a single developed country today is doing enough, so why should the poorer countries be held responsible?

Because, you cannot hold one country accountable while giving China a free ride! This is one of those areas where EVERYONE is going to have to work together. It is totally irresponsible to say that developing countries can continue to pollute, especially on the scale of China, while you ask others to cut back. :info:

The scale of pollution that it is going on in China will be seen worldwide during the upcoming "games".

Because, you cannot hold one country accountable while giving China a free ride! This is one of those areas where EVERYONE is going to have to work together. It is totally irresponsible to say that developing countries can continue to pollute, especially on the scale of China, while you ask others to cut back. :info:

The scale of pollution that it is going on in China will be seen worldwide during the upcoming "games".

Everyone is in this togheter, that true.

But I think it's morally wrong to say that we in the western world wont do anything before the developing countries promises to do anything. First of all, it's we in the developed world that has gotten us into this mess.

We are the worst per capita polutters. It is our factories that have moved to the low cost countries so that we dont have to pay what the gadgets, computers, tvs, chothes etc actually cost. We are the top consumers, not the developing countries. We have the resources needed to change to a sustainable system - the developing nations doesn't.

We have the resources needed to change to a sustainable system - the developing nations doesn't.

So does China, letting them off the hook may the the politically correct answer, but not the answer to the problems. :sceptical:

We have been away for a few days, and visited the birthplace of the industrial age, now a very attractive location:

http://www.ironbridge.org.uk

Industry is a lot cleaner and safer than it used to be, and here in the UK our government is pleased to let us know that on many environmental counts the UK is getting healthier. Alas, this because we do not make anything much, and the pollution and unacceptible labour conditions have been exported.

My view is that where products are made using polluting technologies / poor labour conditions, import taxes should be levied to even the playing field, and thus not peanalise companies who investing to clean up their act.

We have been away for a few days, and visited the birthplace of the industrial age, now a very attractive location:

http://www.ironbridge.org.uk

Industry is a lot cleaner and safer than it used to be, and here in the UK our government is pleased to let us know that on many environmental counts the UK is getting healthier. Alas, this because we do not make anything much, and the pollution and unacceptible labour conditions have been exported.

My view is that where products are made using polluting technologies / poor labour conditions, import taxes should be levied to even the playing field, and thus not peanalise companies who investing to clean up their act.

Sounds good, but the minute all the fat ass liberals that own stock in those companys realize what it means, some excuse will be made as to why import taxes are a bad thing for the poor! :lol:

Life is never as simple as it should be....

Sounds good, but the minute all the fat ass liberals that own stock in those companys realize what it means, some excuse will be made as to why import taxes are a bad thing for the poor! :lol:

Life is never as simple as it should be....

I think the excuses have already been made. I believe that under the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) such levies would be seen as protectionism, and have adverse effects upon Free Trade ...and what could be worse than that

I think the excuses have already been made. I believe that under the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) such levies would be seen as protectionism, and have adverse effects upon Free Trade ...and what could be worse than that

Yes, what could be worse! :thoughtful:

China will have to pollute another 50 years to catch all of our industrialized and "civilized" countries.

I find it funny how some local people say what will happen when all chinese get a car. I see a little racism in that and I see it in mainstream media also against China. China is not the one we should be afraid of. Most of the polluters are businesses from our countries !

China will have to pollute another 50 years to catch all of our industrialized and "civilized" countries.

I find it funny how some local people say what will happen when all chinese get a car. I see a little racism in that and I see it in mainstream media also against China. China is not the one we should be afraid of. Most of the polluters are businesses from our countries !

From what I hear, that is not true. The local businesses have NO pollution controls at all and never have had any. The major polluters in China are, and always have been "home grown", clearly we over rate ourselves if we really think that we could have moved into a country the size of China and taken it over.

What it really means it that other countries are buying goods from the major polluters in the country. This is an issue that ONLY the local government can clean up as the "civilized" countries have no means to force the same environmental standards on local factories as they have in Europe.