Green Blog

Green Bag

zararina

We all do shop for things or for food.

Plastics are the common kinds of bags used here in our country. Although there are some shops or establishments that uses paper bags and some recyclable materials, they are very few. I sometimes bring my "green" bag when shopping but I hope I could do that more often.

A mall here is selling green bags and giving discount or points convertible to cash or merchandise when they shop using that green bag. I really think it was a good idea.

I just like to know how many here in this forum are exerting effort to bring their own shopping bag to avoid the use of plastic bags.

Honestly, it is very rare in my place to see anyone concerned of using recyclable bags. I patronize and commend establishments who offer these types of items in their store. They're contributing awareness to the public, however, not everyone like the idea of using these "green" bags.. as the price is more costly compared to plastic bags. :( Anyhow, I'm thinking of following your suggestion about carrying a personal environment friendly shopping bag instead of patronizing the use of plastic bags.

• 5 months later...

We use the green recyclable bags here. I have six or seven pieces and I'm dying to get more. Even before it was "the craze", I would normally bring a box or two for the groceries. I never liked using plastic bags.

I have recyclable bags in my home and in the car. My mother also has no problem buying a new one if she forgot one in either of those places. I took to them rather quickly and the only issue I've ever had is simply remembering them.

I like them for not only being more sound, but they are just better quality and I don't have to worry about a bag ripping on the way home.

Recyclable bags will really take off in the state of Maryland as they now charge .05 for each bag.

I never use those ghastly plastic bags. I take a big bag with me when I go shopping. I have been using the same bag for 5 years now. More peeople should do what I do, unfortunately they are too lazy and take the easy option of plastic bags at the supermarket.

• 1 year later...

I use green recycled bags when I grocery shop.  I will get some plastic ones on occasion because I like to reuse them for garbage can liners in my bathroom.  The majority of the time though I do use my green shopping bags for my groceries. 

I live in New Jersey.  Many stores around her recycle their own bags.  They have recycling bins at the entrances.  Many people use fabric bags.  Stores will give you a few cents of your bill for every fabric bag you use.

• 4 months later...

I live in the Philippines. Only recently, maybe two or three years back, one of the districts began implementing segregated garbage (finally! I mean, I segregated my garbage already but that would do nothing if it all goes to the same pile anyway)--and now that same district is cutting down on the use of plastic bags as provided by grocery stores. They've begun to charge a little extra for using plastic bags, but I still use them because those become liners for non-biodegradable garbage in my home.

Just today, I got one of the grocery bag's reusable canvas(? Sort of. They used to be canvas. I don't know what this thing is made of, it feels like a dryer sheet...) ones on sale--because the paper bags that this one grocery store gives for one-time no-charge use instead, felt like they were going to give way. I didn't want or plan to spend more than the actual groceries, I don't usually get enough at a time that I can't fit it into my backpack... but I figure that I'll use and re-use this bag enough that it'll be worth it.

It's great to use green bags. We should all use this in order to reduce the use of plastic bags which contributes to pollution. Other than green bags, we should also use paper bags.

Yes, I have quite a few bags that I purchased and I have also sewn some of my own. They are so much easier to use than those old plastic bags. I am just wondering what the best solutions are to garbage bags?

I use these reusable bags from ChicoBags! I got them back in 2008 and they are still as strong as then, even after countless of trips to the grocery store. :)

gallery_2_4_2667012.jpg

In my house holds, its a common occurrence to reuse our plastic bags. Some shops in the UK charge you for their plastic bags, and even though the cost is low it definitely adds up at the end of the day. This certainly helps motivate people to bring reuse the ones they have. It's a great incentive in my opinion.

In my state many cities are now banning stores from using plastic bags and they charge the shpper 5 cents for every paper bag that is given. I know the rule seems kind of crazy, but it really encourages us to bring our own bags to the store; we save a few cents by doing it. I find that I like using my own bags now because I don't have to worry about them tearing while enroute to my car.

In my house holds, its a common occurrence to reuse our plastic bags. Some shops in the UK charge you for their plastic bags, and even though the cost is low it definitely adds up at the end of the day. This certainly helps motivate people to bring reuse the ones they have. It's a great incentive in my opinion.

Yes, I also think this would make the biggest impact in getting people to refrain from the use of plastic bags. And charging fees for plastic bags in shops might become much more common in the EU soon: 

EU is now one step closer to reduce the massive use of plastic bags in Europe. "This reduction could be achieved by imposing taxes or fees on plastic bags, issuing advertising rules or even banning the use of plastic bags in certain shops."