Obama responds to McCain: "It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant"
The Republican presidential contender John McCain yesterday tried to make fun of Barack Obama at a biker rally with his hard-core voters saying Obama's new energy plan was all about inflating your tires. At the biker rally John McCain said that "my opponent doesn't want to drill. He doesn't want nuclear power. He wants you to inflate your tires." Later in an interview he said that "we are not going to achieve energy independence by inflating our tires."
Besides the fact that John McCain is not telling the truth about what Obama said he is also completely wrong about the effectiveness of proper tire inflation.
According to the gas-guzzlers at Auto Alliance of BMW, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Mazda, Mercedez Benz, Mitsubishi, Porsche, Toyota, and Volkswagen:
- The Department of Energy estimates that 1.2 billion gallons of fuel were wasted in 2005 as a result of driving on under-inflated tires.
- Fuel efficiency is reduced by 1% for every 3 PSI that tires are under-inflated.
- Proper tire inflation can save the equivalent of about 1 tank of gas per year.
- Proper tire inflation also reduces CO2 emissions.
- Experts estimate that 25% of automobiles are running on tires with lower than recommended pressure, because people don't know how to check their tires or don't realize that tires naturally lose air over time.
Later at a political rally in Berea Barack Obama responded to John McCain's attacks:
And during a town-hall meeting in Indiana today Barack Obama responded even harder:
You can read all about Barack Obama's "Energy Plan for America" here.