Green Blog

Beautiful and sustainable lamp designs made from Swedish pine

Simon

Check out these beautiful and sustainable lamp designs made from Swedish pine!

You can find even more designs here, these are just a few of my favourites:

03-Markus-2_1_800.jpg.8e4cf0af321654ffa8

Nock - by Markus Barvestig

Nock is a family of luminaires that create good working light in different environments, but at the same time in a natural material that can soften and create contrast in a room.

The inspiration for Nock is located in the manufacturing process. What happens if one translates regular production of extruded aluminum to wood? I wanted to produce a profile which, in a simple way, can be cut to varying lengths to get to different products in a family of luminaires.

By sandblasting the surface, I want to enhance the pine properties, its beautiful grain and structure. The wood is always softer in the spring wood than the autumn wood, as it has grown faster. By sandblast the pine the spring wood wears down faster than autumn wood and creates a structure with peaks and valleys in the surface of the material.

Nock is an honest product, honest to the functions and its materials. The adjustable suspension becomes a visible, decorative detail in the product together with the sandblasted surface that accentuates the pine.

02-Asa-2_800.jpg.ae4bc91514234353ce20e51

Take Away - by Åsa Persson

Take Away is a portable light fixture that is based on the idea that people should be free to bring light where they need it. Take Away works well in the home as a desk lamp and in a public place where it can fit as decorative lighting in a corridor. Being able to move a light source without changing an entire interior is a great need, especially since in many homes have dark places that lack space for a lamp.

I also wanted to create a luminaire that can be hung on the wall where the empty spaces are available. This will easily be able to move the fixture without making a bigger impact on the surrounding décor.

The result is a fixture with associated hooks. A single light source that can be used in various situations where it hung on a hook or placed on a surface. The hooks are placed where light is usually needed, and the fixture can be hung up in the right place. The hook with its solid and sculptural form is to be decorative itself when the fixture is elsewhere.

I have chosen to work in Swedish pine wood, aluminum and LED. The materials are raw to give an honest feeling while the contrasts nicely with each other. With the luminaire Take away creates an interplay between man and furnishings.

04-Anna-Klara-2_1_800.jpg.a92d063d98391b

December - by Anna Klara Gleisner

The inspiration for the luminaire December is taken from the barren natural landscape in the norden parts of Sweden. Like ice cubes facets sparkles with angular shapes and light bleeds through the screens gaps. As we in the Nordic countries need more light in the winter, the pine shrinks and allows light to pass between the facets. Likewise the pine swells when the heat, humidity and light comes to spring and summer.

December is made of Swedish pine and metal with the LED light source.

06-Linnea-2_1_800.thumb.jpg.7c067b6b08bd

Knall - by Linnéa Werm

In the process of producing a light fixture in the pine I turned my gaze to the pristine pine forest and the yellowed varnished pine. From there I created a luminaire that allows expression of the material both sides.

Knall is a pendulum, with inspiration taken from the traditional chopping block translated in stylized form. I have chosen to highlight the pine softness, that makes it is easily damaged, and make it its strength. The split and brushed surface reminiscent of its cracks and unevenness of the texture and shape stubs get when for years they stand outside in all weathers.

The name Knall comes from the sound of the ax blade meets the log and it splits.