Green Blog

Why is all this trash allowed to be manufactured?

Sweetpea

Is it just me or does it seem that there is an aweful lot of just garbage products being manufactured? What is the point of a one time use version of a multi use item. Example is dollar stire headphones. You may get one or two uses but then they break r fall apart. They go strait to the trash. Crayons that are so waxy they dont color, chalk thats so cheap it just crumbles. Sure it is a crayon or a piece of chalk but it isnt functional the way it should be. Whats the point? Do you think there should be higher quality standards for all these items being made just for the sake of making stuff?

Of course there should be higher quality standards and packaging should be minimized or at least from sustainable sources. But this is not possible under capitalism because all that matters is the rate of profit, they want to maximize profits will minimal regulation.

So much junk gets sent through my letter box, it's such a waste!

Of course there should be higher quality standards and packaging should be minimized or at least from sustainable sources. But this is not possible under capitalism because all that matters is the rate of profit, they want to maximize profits will minimal regulation.

So much junk gets sent through my letter box, it's such a waste!

I am on every do not mail list. I rarely get unsolocited mail anymore except from Geico. They would be a very rich company if they didnt mail me 2 of the same letter 3 times a week.

I am on every do not mail list. I rarely get unsolocited mail anymore except from Geico. They would be a very rich company if they didnt mail me 2 of the same letter 3 times a week.

We have a 'No advertising leaflets or free newspapers' sign on a door but we still receive unwanted post, albeit much less than before. Posting leaflets is relatively cheap advertising for businesses, that's why they do it. Most of the junk mail I receive is from Indian restaurants, they don't have the money to pay for TV commercials so they post junk instead.

One way to get junk products off of the market to is to prove that they are either toxic or dangerous for small children. This can take years though and most of the time it takes a lot of money so people just avoid buying the product in the first place.

Well in the dollar store example people are just trying to muddle through as best they can. Sure the earphones purchased aren't long for this world, but at least they work for a time and they only cost a dollar. If you need a set to get through a school assignment what do you honestly care if they work only once or twice?

Looking at the larger picture the world is made of the Haves and the Havenots. The Haves can cheerfully afford to pay exoberiant prices for goods, but the Havenots need affordable items. Therefore you have items that are poor in quality, but are common enough and cheap enough to meet the needs of the less fortunate. It sucks for the environment perhaps, but that is more the result of a culture of thoughtlessness rather then malice.