Green Blog

Making your own

Evilsprinkles

A lot of more eco friendly people, like to make their own stuff, A.) because that way, know exactly what's in something, and B.) it can beat a lot of the chemical processes created when factories make larger amounts of stuff, no man made preservatives etc.

What kinds of things do you make yourself, in order to be more green? Other reasons for self made items are money saving, and perhaps making sure you're crafting something that doesn't contain chemicals or ingredients, that cause nasty allergic reactions.

I currently make my own household cleaner using orange peel and white vinegar, bleach wipes using bleach, strong kitchen paper and water, and baby wipes, using water, baby oil and baby wash, again with strong kitchen paper. I'm also going to be making my own washing powder, and fabric conditioners. These two aren't as environmentally friendly as I would like, BUT at least I know what's going in them, so I can try and dispose of them in as 'green' a manner as possible.

I don't use an automatic washing machine, as I own a compact twin tub. It uses a LOT less water, and I can use the 'grey water' from a wash, to reuse for other things.

I make my own deodorant, shampoo and toothpaste using baking soda and a few other ingredients like essential oils (for deodorant).

I use vinegar to clean, I try to restrict the use of toxic chemicals for cleaning. The only artificial cleaning products I use are for my clothes and I want to change that.

I also grow my own food and I store rainwater for household use.

I make all of my cleaners. Vinegar and I are best friends.

I also make a lot of food homemade. While I can't grow everything, I can switch away from more commercially prepared foods and start base products that haven't been altered as much yet.

I currently make my own toothpaste using coconut oil and baking soda. For laundry detergent, I blend together Ivory soap, borax, and washing soda. I use a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water to create a multipurpose cleaner. Pour that mixture in a spray bottle and you are ready for some serious cleaning action! I also use a combination of castor oil and olive oil as a facial cleanser. This regimen is better known as the oil cleansing method.

A lot of more eco friendly people, like to make their own stuff, A.) because that way, know exactly what's in something, and B.) it can beat a lot of the chemical processes created when factories make larger amounts of stuff, no man made preservatives etc.

What kinds of things do you make yourself, in order to be more green? Other reasons for self made items are money saving, and perhaps making sure you're crafting something that doesn't contain chemicals or ingredients, that cause nasty allergic reactions.

I currently make my own household cleaner using orange peel and white vinegar, bleach wipes using bleach, strong kitchen paper and water, and baby wipes, using water, baby oil and baby wash, again with strong kitchen paper. I'm also going to be making my own washing powder, and fabric conditioners. These two aren't as environmentally friendly as I would like, BUT at least I know what's going in them, so I can try and dispose of them in as 'green' a manner as possible.

I don't use an automatic washing machine, as I own a compact twin tub. It uses a LOT less water, and I can use the 'grey water' from a wash, to reuse for other things.

How long do you allow your orange peels to soak before using the cleaner? Does the peel leave any film or residue on your container?

I currently make my own toothpaste using coconut oil and baking soda. For laundry detergent, I blend together Ivory soap, borax, and washing soda. I use a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water to create a multipurpose cleaner. Pour that mixture in a spray bottle and you are ready for some serious cleaning action! I also use a combination of castor oil and olive oil as a facial cleanser. This regimen is better known as the oil cleansing method.

How long do you allow your orange peels to soak before using the cleaner? Does the peel leave any film or residue on your container?

Id like to know too. Anything to take the vinegar edge off cleaning. I dont like my house smelling like a pickle for an hour after cleaning.

I make baby food for my son. Never had to buy the jarred ones. I use the water that I use for laundry in cleaning the bathroom and the walls outside our house. As much as I can, I don't use a dryer, I line dry all our clothes and my baby's cloth diapers. We use the ceiling fan as much as possible. We rarely use air conditioning. For baby wipes, i made a couple of wash cloths made of cotton flannel and just spritz them with a solution I make out of water, soap, and baby oil.

We make our own jams and chutneys in this house. Of course recycling all food to turn into compost, in order to grow more vegetables.

I'd be interested in making my own tooth paste if someone could recommend a decent recipe?

Id like to know too. Anything to take the vinegar edge off cleaning. I dont like my house smelling like a pickle for an hour after cleaning.

Don't use pure vinegar, that will make your house stink! Use a solution of water and vinegar. I use 4 parts water to 1 part vinegar. I fill a spray bottle with the water/vinegar solution and spray it. The smell is not as prominent when the vinegar is diluted and it still cleans effectively.

• 1 year later...

When I was in school, we learned how to make your own paper and paper plates.  I wish, I could remember how to do it. I do make my own blankets.  I love to croshay.

Making your own paper? Is that recycling old paper or creating new from scratch. Paper certainly seems to be one of the more unusual things to make yourself but I would certainly be itnerested in trying. I've actually tried to recycle paper before by simply waterlogging it, smushing it about and then trying to dry it but the result was poor.

• 3 months later...