Green Blog

Reuse plastic bottles

Jessi

Obviously it would be more ideal to simply not use plastic bottles like this at all.

Even though I don't generally buy them myself, I still end up with them anyway. For example, when the girls get sent home with them from school parties. I hate throwing them out, so I try to find different ways to use them up.

I have never done this, though, or even considered it! I figure the next best thing to not using them in the first place is to reuse them to the best of their potential as often as possible.

4881dd33.jpg?

How fun! The kids will love this project. We have been using them as self watering planters but Im out of room now. We love to repurpose things and then still be able to recycle them when were done.

2-liter bottles like this can be reused in a lot of ways, though. I do buy them since I can't get my soda any other way but I either put them in the recycling or find a use myself. Obviously, you would wash them out before using them for most things.

• Cut the bottom off a 2-lt. bottle and put your yarn skein in, with the beginning out the top. Put the bottom back on and you've got a great way to keep your yarn clean and tangle free. Smaller, 20-oz bottles work the same for certain cotton threads.
  • Cut the top off just where the neck meets the bottle and you have an instant funnel.
  • File the edges of the cut off portion and stick the bottle into an old wine rack - do this for all the slots and you have a fun and unique new organizer for small items.

Nice tutorial mate. I also want to recycle and reuse our plastic bottles but I just can't think of a way to reuse them. All thanks to you, I can finally be able to put all those platic bottles to good use. Before, I just save all of them and dump them to the scrap yard to earn a little bit of cash.

I usually just ended up using them for other drinks or containers.

Sometimes we'd cut off the tops and use them as seed starter locations. Fill them with dirt, put in the seeds, and then transplant them elsewhere after they start to grow.

This is a great thread considering that plastic bottles is something that we all have in an abudance. I saw this great link that discussed how you could make your own green house out of plastic bottles and if you're a DIY woman/man and on a budget, it is a great idea or present for your parents. The only issue is storing space..

Here is the link:

http://www.westnottssu.co.uk/media/64927/plastic%20bottle%20greenhouse%20instructions.pdf

• 1 year later...

What great ideas.  I really try to stay away from plastic bottles because you can't really reuse them to drink out of and you don't want to throw them away.  I love these projects and next time I come across a plastic bottle I want to give these a try.

• 4 months later...

I am so impressed by this broom/rake. I am going to make one for my own use and ask others to do so too. It is ideas like this that go such a long way to saving this beautiful planet of ours. Thank you!

That is very creative, thanks for sharing! I have a plastic water bottle that I leave on my desk and just refill it everyday. It is just a bottle that I bought at the gas station when I was thirsty a couple of months ago. Not only am I saving money by not constantly buying water, but that is several bottles that have not needed to be oroduced to keep me hydrated!

• 1 month later...

If you do a little research you will be amazed at the ideas people constantly come up with to reuse plastic bottles. They certainly never go to waste in my house!

I recently saw something about a waterbottle broom project somewhere, but now I can't remember where I saw it. I love learning about all the ways people repurpose things.

There are many ways you can reuse plastic bottles. Cut the bottle into two at the trunk portion and use the down portion for planting small  plants in it. Make sure that you make at least two holes to allow the extra water to come out of the holes. You can decorate the bottom portion and use it as a stationary stand. You can also use it as a holding cup for any purposes.