Green Blog

Bike Share Programs

sillylucy

How do you feel about bike rental or bike share programs that are starting to spring up in cities like Boston and New York? You basically rent a bike for an hour or a day and drop it off at a little station. It seems like a good deal when one train ride costs $2 and you can get a whole bike to write around for less than $10. I wish we had that in Los Angeles, but the city is so huge I don't think it will take off.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I think it's a great idea. Whatever it takes to get people a little more active, and to get them to stop relying so much on motor vehicles of any kind, is all right with me.

They tried the bike share program in my city, and people kept running off with the bikes! I couldn't believe it. Maybe they could install a tracking device in the bicycles if they aren't returned within a certain period (but that could be a huge invasion of privacy, so I don't know how that would work, exactly).

I think bike share programs are an excellent idea. Our city just instituted a bike sharing program and people have been surprisingly careful and respectful with their use.

Unfortunately, most bike paths are still one lane that goes right along side cars, buses and other larger vehicles, so riding is quite dangerous.

I'd like to see our city create a completely separate, but parallel, system of roads and/or trails for bike riders.